New Study Shows Simple Task at Six Months of Age May Predict Risk of Autism

R

runawaybunny

A new prospective study of six-month-old infants at high genetic risk for autism identified weak head and neck control as a red flag for autism spectrum disorder (Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)) and language and/or social developmental delays. Researchers at the Kennedy Krieger Institute concluded that a simple "pull-to-sit" task could be added to existing developmental screenings at pediatric well visits to improve early detection of developmental delays.

"Research aimed at improving early detection of autism has largely focused on measurement of social and communication development," said Dr. Rebecca Landa, study author and director of the Center for Autism and Related Disorders at Kennedy Krieger Institute. "However, disruption in early motor development may also provide important clues about developmental disorders such as autism."

While previous studies have shown that head lag indicates developmental delays in children with cerebral palsy and preterm infants, postural control in infants at risk for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) had not been examined. In the current study, Dr. Landa and her team assessed infants in a "pull-to-sit" task, a simple measure of postural control in infants. Typically developing infants achieve this type of postural control by four months of age.

Dr. Landa's team studied two groups of infants. The first group consisted of 40 infants, ages 5.6 to 10 months, considered to be at high genetic risk because a sibling had autism. Dr. Landa and her team examined their ability to maintain head alignment when being carefully, yet firmly, pulled by the arms from lying flat on his/her back to a sitting position. Infants were scored according to whether their head maintained alignment with the spine, or was in front of the spine, during the task. Lack of this head control indicated head lag.

Participants were tested for head lag at 6, 14, 24, and, for outcome diagnosis, at 30 or 36 months, the age that diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is considered definitive. At the end of the longitudinal study, infants were classified into three outcomes:

90 percent of infants diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) exhibited head lag as infants;
54 percent of children meeting criteria for social/communication delay had exhibited head lag as infants, and;
35 percent of children not meeting the criteria for social or communication delay or Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) exhibited head lag at 6 months.
In the second group, researchers examined six-month-olds at a single point in time for the presence of head lag. Dr. Landa and her team found that 75 percent (n =15) of high-risk infants exhibited head lag, compared to 33 percent (n =7) of low-risk infants, further supporting that head lag is more likely in infants at risk of developing Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). "Our findings show that the evaluation of motor skills should be incorporated with other behavioral assessments to yield insights into the very earliest signs of autism," said Dr. Landa.

"While previous research shows that motor impairments are linked to social and communication deficits in older children with autism, the field is just starting to examine this in younger children," said Dr. Landa. "Our initial research suggests that motor delays may have an important impact on child development."

Building on the head lag research, Dr. Landa's team conducted a separate longitudinal study with 14-, 24- and 36-month-old children at high and low risk of developing Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). The study found that motor delay becomes increasingly evident as children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) near their third birthday, yet not all children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) experience motor delay. Results showed that children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) who experience motor delays are more severely impaired by three years of age than children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) with no motor delays.

"While more research is needed to examine why not all children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) experience motor delay, the results of our studies examining motor development add to the body of research demonstrating that early detection and intervention for infants later diagnosed with autism is possible and remains crucial to minimize delays and improve outcomes," said Dr. Landa.

Kennedy Krieger researchers will present the head lag findings during a poster session on Friday, May 18 between 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. ET in the Sheraton Centre Toronto, Sheraton Hall. Dr. Landa's presentation about the impact of motor delays on development will be held on Friday, May 18 at 3:15 p.m. in Grand Ballroom East.

Other researchers who contributed to the head lag study were Joanne Flanagan, MS, OTR/L, of Kennedy Krieger Institute; Anjana Bhat, PT, PhD, of the University of Connecticut; and Margaret Bauman, MD, of Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital.

Support for the head lag study was provided by National Institutes of Mental Health, Cure Autism Now (now Autism Speaks) and The Karma Foundation.

Story Source:
The above story is reprinted from materials provided by Kennedy Krieger Institute

Study Reference:
Dr. Landa will present this and other new research on motor delay and how it impacts development of language and social skills at the International Meeting for Autism Research

Disclaimer:
This article is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of ConductDisorders or its staff.

L

Liahona

Our pediatrician said kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) have slightly bigger heads as babies. He said that its not normally noticeable and the body caught up quickly so they are proportioned like other kids. This would seem to support that. I don't know what study he got that from or if it was his own idea. He did notice difficult child 2's Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) at 8 months. We thought he was crazy.

keista

Huh. I'm pretty sure my two oldest had this head lag. Honestly don't remember, but it sure looks familiar. Interesting.

And yes, I read the big head study too. Son has a big head and so do I, but they are not excessive large, just on the large end of normal scale. As far as our family is concerned DD1 has a medium head and DD2 the smallest. So, I do think there is credence to the head study. Could be what's causing that head lag - head is just too big and heavy (and full of brains) to lift regularly. :)

TerryJ2

My difficult child did not have the head lag issue. He was Superman. Scary Superman.
This goes along with-the floppy muscle issue. Interesting.

L

Liahona

My kids don't have floppy muscles, but none of them (not the pcs either) could do the pull to sit thing they showed in the video by 4 months.

keista

My difficult child did not have the head lag issue. He was Superman. Scary Superman.
This goes along with-the floppy muscle issue. Interesting.
I thought this was a floppy muscle thing and at first didn't think it applied to my kids, because my kids held their heads up on their own sooner than average. But this head lag is a different kind of support, almost like "oh, I'm sitting up now, so I guess I should bring my head up now too! Even now if I try to pull DD1 up like that she'll lag her head back.