new therapist and comments/questions on autism

Ktllc

Well, I met with V's new therapist (yes the one who started with the wrong son). She is not bad, I think we can use her. Yes, use as in I need to take the lead and really be clear of what our family needs. With the other therapist, we were kind of following but I feel we need to be more active and tell our expectation if we want the help we really need.
So right away, I told where the problems are (getting stuck, repeating and asking the same stuff over and over, a lot of "no" and "I don't know", his way only, daily tantrums, etc...).
For every point I was raising concerns/seeking help for, she said it was very "autistic like". She even said that if it wasn't for me being so intuitive about V, things would probably be 100 times worst and we would already have a Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis and all the help we are asking from the school! (the previous therapist and her work together so she knows us already through conversations and file sharing).
She even wants to connect us with an autism organization for V to be tested if the neuro psychologist is out of his league (hopefully not, but glad to have plan B).
It's sad when a parent is happy to have hear "yes, your son might very well be autistic after all"...
She seemed confident that help will come as long as we keep pushing. Maybe she has seen similar scenarios before??
I got an other school evaluation scheduled for May. They were supposed to do an evaluation but decided to just call the teacher who thinks everything is fine. The assistant on the other hand sees stuff and seems to real work with V and his social skils (per therapist report who spent 1 hour at school). The therapist even said there were no use to talk to the teacher, she had no feedback from her.
Although not perfect, it's nice to know that the assistant is helping. The therapist will go every other week and help V in the classroom.
Sigh... that is a long road to get someone to listen! I don't care where he is on the spectrum. He might super high functioning, but he still needs help.
Anyone else has a super high functioning autistic kid? How was it when he/she was 4 years old? When did you finally get help?

T

TeDo

I am glad you were validated. That "mommy gut" is never wrong. As for the school, if you put the request for an evaluation in writing, they have to give you written REASONS as to why the CAN'T do the evaluating. It is illegal. If you requested verbally, then yea, they can say whatever they want. Why are you waiting until May and how is that being arranged? I am hoping it's to arm yourself with proof first and that YOU are the one that wants it in May.

I am even happier that the therapist will be working with difficult child At school. That will help when it comes time for an IEP. Since they are an independent professional, their observations and recommendations carry some weight.

As for your question, I wish I had known when difficult child 1 was 4. I can't help but think things would have been SOOOOOO different for us if I had known back then. As it is, we've gone thru h*** with the school with wrong diagnosis's. It's a lot wasier to get things in place when they're younger than to try to undo sd personnel practices that were based on WRONG diagnosis's for so long. I am VERY happy for you AND difficult child. Way to go Warrior Mom!!

Malika

Glad the therapist is not as bad as first indications seemed to show :)
I think, really, all this just shows that it is kind of nonsensical to rule things in or out based on a paper test with questions - or even on an observation or two. Okay so there's not much else to go on at this early stage but safer to be vague and inconclusive than certain and wrong. It does seem from what you have described that V is on the autism spectrum. Please may he now get the help that will really help him (and you).