New, thought I'd introduce myself!

hiddenjewel81

This is my first post, new to how all of this works. I'm also new to the world of counselors, medications, evaluations....my 6 yr. old has always been my "wildchild", gradually worsening as he gets older. Behavior problems in school led to a diagnosis of ADHD, increasing problems led to a diagnosis of ODD as well. It's been tough for me as a single mom, unsure some days that I'm doing all that I can for him, that I'm making the right choices. Hoping to find the support I so desperately need on here!!!

tryinghard

Welcome! This really is a great place for support and advice. My son is diagnosis'd with ADHD and has some ODD behavior. He is now 12 but from 4-10 he had bad nightmares every single night. I would have to explain to him how I would wake myself up out of a bad dream. Poor kid, there were nights he didn't want to go to sleep because he was scared of the dreams. About two years ago they stopped occuring so often. Now it is just an every once in a while occurance.

Good luck and welcome!

LittleDudesMom

Welcome Hidden!

I understand your description of your difficult child as your "wildchild". I used to refer to my difficult child that way as well when he was young. As a matter of fact, when I was pregnant with him he was so active I used to joke that he was my child that would hang from the chadeliers!!! Little did I know how true those words would be when my little hyper boy came along!

Glad you found your way here to our site. We will hold your hand as you navigate the world of gfgness!

Sharon

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Good morning & welcome to our little corner of the world. You will find many here who will hold your hand through the journey in finding answers for your difficult child. You'll find years of wisdom in the parents here who have been there done that.

Take care of yourself through this time. It's the best thing you can do for yourself & your child.

Again welcome.

BusynMember

Welcome to the board. To help us help you, I have a few questions.

1/Are you satisfied with the diagnosis? Has he ever had a neuropsychologist evaluation? Does he see a Psychiatrist (with the MD). Is he on medication? Was he EVER on medications? If so, did ADHD medications do any good?

2/Did your child have any unusual development--speech delays, poor eye contact, strange obsessions, inability to connect with peers appropriately, fine or large motor delays?

3/Any psychiatric or neurological problems on either side of the family tree? Any substance abuse?

Glad you found us.

navineja

Good morning and welcome. I have 6 (almost 7) year old twins, both with their own issues, but one, N, has just been formally diagnosed with ADHD and ODD. It is a constant guessing game as to what is the right action for that particular day, but hang in there. The group on this board have some wonderful ideas and have helped me a lot. I have found that in pretty much any situation, there is someone on here that has experienced it and can give advice or at least empathy. Just knowing that others are in the same boat is a tremendous help.
A great piece of advice that I found here is: Take time for yourself! This is particularly important if you are dealing with the child without support from a mate or significant other. You cannot be at your best for your child if you are totally worn out, physically, mentally, or emotionally. And these kids do drain us! Make sure to have some "pampering" time for you, even if it is just taking a nice quiet bath after little ones are in bed. And don't let yourself stop spending time with friends. I know for us, we stopped doing a lot of things that we used to do with others because of the twins behaviors, and that was a BIG mistake. We all need that adult time and normalcy.
OK I have rambled enough. Glad to have you here!