New to alternative treatments

Proud2BaPICURN

I am looking for anything that may help my ODD/ADHD difficult child besides MORE drugs!! He is only taking Strattera now, which does basically nothing. I don't know why I pay for it every month. Everybody knows he has a problem, but all they want to do is medicate him. I know there has to be something else we can try first. He is so creative and fun. I don't want to see him become a sleepy zombie like he was in the past. I started him on 3mg of melatonin every night, and that has helped him sleep, so less moodiness. Looking for more of the same success. HELP!!!

Lothlorien

There is no magic bullet cure all for our kids, unfortunately. Have you tried the Omega 3 supplements? I've put my difficult child on Animal Parade 3/6/9. It has Omega 3s, 6s and 9s. I've only had her on it for a short time, but the Omegas are wonderful for focus and some hyperactivity. You may want to try that.

I'm also a big proponent of getting your child on an all-natural diet. I put Missy on the Feingold, but now have her diet resticted for food coloring and corn syrup. That hasn't completely nipped it all in the bud, but has drastically reduced the meltdowns and rages. Now, when she has something that has corn syrup or food coloring, there is a very NOTICIBLE in her behavior.

You may even want to try gluten/cassien free diet. That has been very helpful with many of our difficult children.

Josie

My difficult child was "cured" by the gluten free/casein free diet. She was diagnosis'ed with ODD and Depression. It turns out that it was all caused by gluten and casein intolerance. The only time she behaves that way now is if she has even a trace of either one.

To me, my other daughter looked like she had ADHD. That has gone away for her now that she is also on the girlfriend/CF diet. She also has to be soy-free.

I don't want to discourage you from trying it, but if you do, it is important to avoid all traces of it, especially when you are trying it. Even traces of gluten cause me to be moody and irritable for more than 2 weeks. If you are not strict about it, you might not notice any difference even if it is the answer for you. There is a huge learning curve to this diet but once you are used to it, it isn't hard. It is inconvenient but definitely worth it since I don't have to deal with that defiance and meanness from difficult child any more.

Proud2BaPICURN

I had him start taking an Omega suppplement this week. He usually puts up a huge fight any time he has to take anything, but he was very accepting. I am going to research the diet. I have no idea what is involved. I also started him on a vitamin E supplement. One of the docs I work with suggested this. He is Asian and said they recommend it to anyone with any kind of brain disorder. Thanks for the info!!