Kathy B

Hello All, My son is almost 15 with the diagnosis schizo affective disorder sub type BiPolar (BP), asperbergers, and conduct disorder. My son has just completed 9 hours of nueropsych testing over 3 days by his psychologist with results this Wednesday. My son has an IEP in place and is failing Special Education but will be passed on becaue of "no child left behind". My son's psychiatrist & psychologist both say my son is complex and rare and that an accurate diagnosis would be years in the future, he has many traits from so many different diagnosis's one brain many traits overlapping. I just wanted to introduce myself and see how others are coping with a child like mine.

Kathy B mom
husband of almost 17 yrs
D son with above problems medications lithium, adderall, seroquel, & abilify
DL 12 yr son with no problems
3 dogs a St Bernard, Cocker Spaniel and a Pug

smallworld

Kathy, welcome. I'm glad you found us.

You're landed in a place where lots of kiddos are difficult to diagnosis and challenging to parent. You'll fit right in here.

My son just turned 15 and is failing school this year (a private school with very few accommodations). We're about to go through the IEP process in our county SD and hopefully locate an appropriate placement for him.

Are your son's medications helping, hurting or not making much difference? What is your greatest challenge at home?

If you haven't read The Explosive Child by Ross Greene, you might want to pick up a copy. It has helped many of us on this board parent our extra-challenging children.

Again, welcome.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Just wanted to add a welcome also!!! It is sometimes slow on the weekend...
I want to let you know that even though some of us may have kids with different diagnosis's and different ages we all struggle and we understand! We are here for you. Read up and post when you can. Tell us about your journey that brought you here if you want...

M

ML

Welcome! My 9 year old son also has many different overlap symptoms. The diagnosis keeps shifting. You've found a great place. I am glad you found us.

TerryJ2

Hi Kathy,
you've come to the right place.
Welcome, and Happy Mother's Day.
It is so hard to get an accurate diagnosis when the kids are young. You're in good company, so to speak.
I hope your weekend is calm.