New to site. I need info on Neurontin

RyMas

I everyone. I am new to the site and was hoping you could share any information you may have on this drug. My 7 year old was diagnosed with ODD 1 year ago. Things have gotten really bad and his doctor thinks he may be Bi-Polar. I have been holding off on drug treatment hoping things may change, but they have not. My husband and I can not take his mood swings and angry behavior anymore and his doctor suggested Neurontin. I hate to give him medications but I am at my wit's end. Any information on this specific drug would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

LittleDudesMom

Hi and welcome,

One of the first things I usually do is a "google" search - you can usually get your first information that way. I'm sure if there are any posters taking the drug themselves, or if their difficult child's are, they will respond to your inquiry. I believe it is used off lable for the treatment of BiPolar (BP) and is a seizure medication.

Have your read "The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene? It is one we all highly recommend. It's filled with insight on dealing with our difficult kids.

Glad you found your way here.

Sharon

Sara PA

Neurontin is an anticonvulsant that had been fraudulently marketed to treat a slew of conditions there was no reason to believe it would treat. Bipolar is one of those conditions. Not only is it not approved for the treatment of bipolar disorder, the manufacturer stopped the clinical studies that could have led to that approval because the results of earlier studies failed to show any benefits to using the drug.

The Neurontin prescribing information contain this wording: Quote:
WARNINGS

Neuropsychiatric Adverse Events—Pediatric Patients 3-12 years of age

Gabapentin use in pediatric patients with epilepsy 3–12 years of age is associated with the occurrence of central nervous system related adverse events. The most significant of these can be classified into the following categories: 1) emotional lability (primarily behavioral problems), 2) hostility, including aggressive behaviors, 3) thought disorder, including concentration problems and change in school performance, and 4) hyperkinesia (primarily restlessness and hyperactivity). Among the gabapentin-treated patients, most of the events were mild to moderate in intensity.

For a while it was quite popular with doctors (because of the fraudulent marketing) though virtually all parents reported that, at best, it did nothing. Considering the price of the drug, that's not good enough.

One benefit we heard about was that it didn't require blood level testing. Well, neither do Lamictal or Trileptal.

ETA: A link to an article about the fraud case.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Hi and welcome... My difficult child 1-K is starting Nuerontin... tonight as a matter of fact. Having said that, she is not taking it for her BiPolar (BP). She is taking it for her Anxiety. Even her psychiatrist noted that it would not touch her BiPolar (BP), but once stable on a mood stabilizer it can be a benificial add on to help with anxiety. Not by itself for mood...

I would read up on:

http://www.jbrf.org (has great treatment guidelines)

I would make sure you feel very confident with the diagnosis before you choose to medicate. We saw a Psychiatrist, 2 psychologists, had a nuero-psychiatric evaluation and spent a lot of time with our pediatrician. Also a lot of time here and other sires as well as reading anything we could on medications and possible disorders we thought K had... Once we felt like we were pretty sure and K honestly needed medications then we made the decision... it was very hard...it was about 6months since our first evaluation- to medicate.
Good luck

pnuts

Hello.
Neurontin is a drug used for mood stabilization. It is an antisiezure medication...much like depakote, tegretol...Has a Lower incidence of side effects. Weight neutral. Less sedating. Many drugs have off label uses and are effective and safe.

My own child has been on it for a long time and has done well.

Good luck.

Sara PA

If anyone goes to The Bipolar Child website, keep in mind that the newsletter on mood stabilizers was written before (and not updated since) the revelation that the makers of Neurontin were putting out false information about studies on its use to treat bipolar disorder. Even so, the Papoloses' comments about it are less than glowing.

My son has been on neurotin for four years now, and things are going very well for him. He takes it for control of nerve pain. I believe that a wonderful bonus is some mood leveling. Just be sure to remember that once you start neurotin you can't suddenly remove it- it must be tapered. And, my son has had serious issues with his teeth. We're going to see the dentist every 3 months rather than every 6 months. The neurotin, especially in combination with other medications can cause serious dry mouth which throws off the balance of enzymes within the mouth. Decay can result....

Sara PA

Neurontin is approved for the treatment of neuralgia. The clinical tests were done on pain caused by shingles.

Clinical testing indicates it is no more effective for mood stabilization than a placebo.

All anticonvulsants come with a warning against abrupt discontinuation because doing that can cause seizures to occur in people with seizure disorders.

RyMas

Thank you all for your info, I really appreciate it. For those of you whose difficult child's are taking I have a few questions. Did emotions increase? My difficult child started 1 week ago on 100 mg. After three days his bad mood and irritability was the same but he would cry at the drop of a hat. We are talking sobbing uncontrolably for no reason. Dr. wants us to increast up to 200 mg a day. I am going to try but wanted others opinion. Also everyone mentions dry mouth but my sons lips are dry and swollen.
From reading these forums it seems as though medications are hit and miss and it may take awhile to find the right mix. Is this correct?

Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!!!!!

SaraT

Yes, you are correct in that medications are hit and miss. What works for one child might not help another.

My difficult child has been through several medications, but is finally stabilized on Lamictal.(Also a seizure medication used to stabilize moods, but has few side effect.)

All you can do is keep yourself educated about each drug and I suggest taking notes of side effects, behavior changes, etc., to discuss with the doctors.

mom_in_training

I also agree that some medications will work for some but not necessarily always work for others. My sons GI Dr prescribed neurotin to aid in my sons tolorance of his formula.(He has a G-Tube)I was hesitant knowing that it was an Anti-Seizure medication because he was already taking Keppra and Dilantin for seizure control and thought that adding another would be a bit too much. In my sons case I got three doses down him and he started vomiting.

Sara PA

That crying at the drop of a hat would be under #1 of that list of adverse reactions in children list I quoted above: emotional lability.