New to the site, looking for HELP!!

Tinaspina

My 10 yo son has been diagnosis with ADHD/CD/Anxiety etc...He is getting more and more outa of control 9and he is ONLY 10). He is on an IEP at school and I get updates everyday. But it is getting more and more obvious that he is needing some sort of residential treatment. Does anyone have any ideas??

Wiped Out

Staff member
Welcome Tinaspina!
Glad you found our little corner of the world but sorry you had to. Sometimes when new members join we have more questions than answers at first so that we can be more helpful.

What type of professional was he diagnosed by? Ten seems awfully young to be diagnosed with CD. I thought they couldn't make that diagnosis until they were older?

What are the types of behaviors he is exhibiting that are warranting residential treatment? Does he have a BIP (behavior intervention plan) that is part of his IEP? Do you feel it is adequate?

Again, welcome, you will find much support here.

T

TeDo

Is/was he on any medications for any of these diagnosis's? In order to help, we difinitely need more info. The more detailed, the better. What kinds of things are they addressing in the IEP? What does "more and more out of control" mean in your situation? What kind of doctor diagnosed him and when? What is the family make-up? Is there any diagnosed or suspected but undiagnosed mental health issues on either side of his family tree? An example is that my mother is, I swear, Obsessive-Compulsive but would swear on a stack of Bible's that she has NO problems. The more information you give us, the better equipped many of us will be able to help.

Welcome to the family. Chances are, someone (or more likely most) here have been there, done that and can offer great advice. We prefer not to just take a stab in the dark. We know how unhelpful that would be.