New Years menus

everywoman

Do you have any traditional New Years menu.

In my part of the south--
Collard greens
Hoppin johns--rice and black eyed peas cooked together
BBQ
Cornbread

It's my favorite meal of the year!

Sara PA

PA Dutch

Roast pork
Sauerkraut
Mashed Potatoes
Applesauce

The proper way to eat it is to put the sauerkraut on top of the mashed potatoes.

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
Ohio

Roast Pork
Mashed Potatoes
Sauerkraut
Buttered Corn

A tradition that is to bring "good luck" to the New Year.

meowbunny

Roast Pork (well bbq'd)
Garlic Potatoes
Sauerkraut on top of potatoes
Green Peas
Applesauce

Sadly, dinner will have to wait until Thursday night because Marie has to work evenings today and tomorrow and the idea of eating at either 1:30 or midnight is not palatable.

DDD

:rolleyes: THIS year I am not cooking the traditional New Years
good luck meal. I figure 2008 has got to be better than the past
few years and instead of collards, hoppin' John etc. :surprise:
I'm using up leftovers and making a chicken pie! DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I WAS going to make roast pork tenderloin with sauerkraut and potatoes, etc. But I had a hard time getting around today - I think I caught easy child's cold and I may have had a bit too much gin in my martini last night!

I did finally amble out to the kitchen and fixed some yummy vegetable soup which I will have with some crunchy ciabatta bread and I made a meatloaf at H's request. easy child is fixing us up some risotto to go with and some green beans to round it out. I'm really looking forward to that soup.

Have to run to the store for some supplies. We got hit with more snow today, ugh.

klmno

Truly southern Janet! This is what my family would have served as I was growing up! We broke that tradition- steak (which I burnt :(, crab legs, steak fries, salad, bread. We'll be eating chili the next couple of days to help absorb the cost!!!

Kathy813

Staff member
After living in the south for 30 years, I still can't bring myself to eat collard greens or black eyed peas.

Since it was just husband, easy child, and me today, we went to the movies and stopped at Atlanta Bread Company after the movie and brought home soup and sandwiches.

It may be the start of a new tradition. :happy_new_year:

~Kathy

Fran

Former desparate mom
Kathy, we are going in the non traditional route too. Chicken wings
and the Twilight Zone marathon. Works for us.

Wiped Out

Staff member

Jimmy John subs, pretzels, pretzel dip, chips for lunch.

Cheese and crackers, shrimp cocktail, veggies & dip for dinner.

My friend always brings frozen custard and chocolate chip cookies for dessert on New Year's Day.

SRL

I spent all day in the kitchen yesterday preparing food for the party we went to last night so I wasn't up for much cooking today! I made up the rest of the little smokies wrapped in crescent roll appetizers, and served it with fruit and milk in front of the TV. On paper plates!