Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TeDo

Soonest opening was mid-october.

You're lucky. I called in April and their soonest opening was the day before Thanksgiving.

Better news is that they said they can do the total evaluation all in one day. So unless they find something 'horribly' wrong, then we shouldn't have to go back. Is this normal?

They are doing all our testing in one (LONG) day and then go back in 2-3 weeks for the results and recommendations. Not sure if this is normal or not but I'm just happy we are able to get it done. Good for you!

DS3

The reason that they're trying to get us in sooner is that we are military. We're moving in November across the country again. So it's get it done ASAP or wait and then try this whole process all over again after we move (which we'll still have to find replacement docs for the psychiatrist and play therapy.) Moving is so much fun! ~rolls eyes~

T

TeDo

I'm glad you are able to get it done. You'll have to let us know how it goes and what you learn.

DS3

Will do. Right now I'm waiting on the referral to be processed so that way I can make the appointment. I tried late yesterday and it still wasn't in. So I guess now we try again first thing monday morning.

nvts

This is just a suggestion: since you know where you're moving, why not see if you can make an appointment. with someone on the plan for the Nov./Dec. timeframe...this way you can get copies of the records from whomever you see, bring them with you and go to the "prescheduled" appointment.

Beth

DS3

Here's the thing about the military... we were originally told that we were moving in May. Then June. Then September. Now November. In truth it could be anywhere from November to February. So we'll see what happens. they just keep us on our toes. In the mean time I'm doing what I can with what I have for the kids, as well as going through things and getting rid of what I don't want to take across country once again.

J

joneshockey

"He kept him on the Adderall 5mg in the morning and then added a anti-psychotic medication called Risperidone at .25 mg two times a day. I don't know if I really want him on these medications, but we'll see what happens. I have to say that I don't believe more medicine is the answer."

My now 5 year old son has been on Risperidone.25mg since the age of 4... he had many of the issues that you have descibed your son as having and I must say it has worked MIRACLES for my child. It MAY take 2 or 3 weeks before you will see the full effects of the medication, but each day will get a little bit easier. (You will see less and less of his "manic" or aggressive behaviors) Good luck and have piece of mind that you have found many friends here who are here for you!

DS3

My now 5 year old son has been on Risperidone.25mg since the age of 4... he had many of the issues that you have descibed your son as having and I must say it has worked MIRACLES for my child. It MAY take 2 or 3 weeks before you will see the full effects of the medication, but each day will get a little bit easier. (You will see less and less of his "manic" or aggressive behaviors) Good luck and have piece of mind that you have found many friends here who are here for you!

Did you have issues at first with it? I've been giving it to him, but instead of making him tired and settling him down, he gets even more hyper. I don't know if he's having a side effect or what. I do know that I dread when nap time is up. Cause it makes for a very long rest of the afternoon/evening.

Makes planning for the holidays a BLAST I'm sure! :)

That it does. For the most part, we don't go home for the holiday's every year. We make it about every 1 out of 3. We're hoping that with the move closer to home that we will be able to make it more often, and that family will actually be able to come and visit without it costing an arm and a leg to get there. We 'shall see.

H

HaoZi

My daughter got worse on risperdal and it happened fast. As in days. Keep a very close eye on him, at the time this happened to her, her only diagnosis's were ADHD and ODD.

T

TeDo

Ditto HaoZi! Mine became EXTREMELY agressive with a hair trigger. In our case it started gradually but increased steadily until I realized what was causing it and d/c'd it immediately. My psychiatrist kept wanting to tinker with the dosage. I finally decided enough was enough and stopped giving it to him. What VERY closely.

J

joneshockey

Did you have issues at first with it? I've been giving it to him, but instead of making him tired and settling him down, he gets even more hyper. I don't know if he's having a side effect or what. I do know that I dread when nap time is up. Cause it makes for a very long rest of the afternoon/evening.

In my experience Risperidone is not an ADHD medication, so it never has calmed B2 down - that is why he is also on Methelyn ER 10mg, which helps him with his ADHD symtoms. In my experience when my son first started taking resperidone he would often have spurts of agression that got less and less frequent the longer (number of days) he was on the medication. Each day seemed to get a little bit better. If you continue to be concerned about the medication making him more hyper I would definately check with his doctor. Hang in there and keep us posted on how he is doing!

DS3

I do know that we got off to a rough start (I forgot the 2nd time a day a couple of times), and I didn't know if that would affect it working correctly? I'm better at getting it into him 2 x daily now, but I don't really know if it is working or not. I'm trying to be patient, because the doctor said it may take a couple of weeks, but thus far (9 days on it), no change. He put him on it to help him go to sleep at night since he's not sleeping. And still, he's up until almost midnight, and still waking up around 6am.

C

Confused

Hi DS3,
I have not been on in a while but decided to complain about my situation today. So, that is great that you and your son that you are getting help. And yes, I believe you got in quicker because your military-Fort Bliss is really good and getting things done for active military- and the possibility of moving. But also, because you have been receiving help, that has also helped. Congrats on your GPA! I can't concentrate with my kids and I have family with/near me! I agree not to have "junk" in the house. Let him see what you have by helping you put it up, just so he knows by "his seeing" it. That's what I try to do with mine. On the medications, my friends daughter has been on many . Sometimes it will take a while to kick in, or it could be a side effect. Trial and error sometimes with the medications she told me. Just let his Dr know. Good luck.( Most Dr's refuse medications for kids under 6, you got lucky)

DS3

Does anyone else's difficult child have this 'thing' for playing with chemicals? I tell him not to and he does anyways. I lock them up and he still finds a way... It's annoying the hell out of me. I actually caught him trying to drink my weed killer the other day (luckily, caught in time). Today he decided that the air freshener had to be sprayed in his brother's face. I'm just so tired of it. I can't even look up what he needs for school without him getting into something (which is what I was trying to do, as it seemed they were playing in the sprinkler - but I guess not). ~end rant~

Ktllc

When it comes to safety issues, I would suggest havng a plan in place. Could you, for exemple, dedicate a cabinet for all your chemicals, go to the hardware store and install a lock with combination. This way, you won't have to worry about hiding a key. If you're not good remembering numbers, they make some locks with letter combination. I'm sure you already have done so, but try to "child" proof your house as much as possible. Sometimes, I feel my house is kind of empty... but at least I don't have the stress of having everyting destroyed.
Try to make a list of priorities Some things can be put on the back burner for now. Some others, it will be worth the battle. Safety being the top priority and bad eating habit will be tackeled later.
Don't try to be the "perfect" parent: take one thing at a time and it will relief some stress.
I have rarely used it, but I also have his bedroom with the lock on the outside. I think I've only used it 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years. Maybe it's something you might want to consider. If you really need to get some done and he cannot be trusted. At least you know where he is and you don't have to make it sound like a punishment. Maybe play with him a little and explain that he will have to stay in his room until you're done with whatever you need to do. You might get lucky and he migh actually listen. Or am I delusional?
Just a few tips.

DS3

The kid is way too smart in some matters, I swear it. And getting into 'things' is one of the better things he's really good at. For example, the put the weed killer and ant spray out in the garage on the top of a book shelf. I then lock the garage door (dead bolt and regular lock), and he will still manage to find a way to get in there and push something up to the shelf so that he can reach the top of it. This is why it's so annoying. I've not only had to remove all of the snacks in the house (for the same reason), so he just finds something else to get into (like the yogurt in the fridge, or the sprinkles in the baking cabinet). I even have an outdoor shed that I have tried to keep him out of, and aside from installing locks on everything, I don't think there's anything that will actually 'sink in' to this kids head. I just feel like I shouldn't have to put a lock on the fridge, or every door in the house. He knows better, yet still does it. This is the frustrating part.

keista

Obviously he's getting into other foods as well, but as far as the dangerous stuff, is it just chemicals he goes for or will he eat things like dirt and other completely inappropriate stuff? It sounds as if he might have a serious eating disorder. Off the top of my head, one of them is called pica http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002505/

There is also another where a person just will NOT stop eating. It's more extreme than just plain overeating and the drive is so intense that even a young child will figure out how to get around the most intense security measures. In your case I wouldn't bee too quick to jump to that because the medications can cause excessive hunger but not to the extreme point of the disorder (sorry I don't remember the name for it) Again a key question is whether or not he had these eating issues before the medication.

DS3

He had it before the medication. It's more with the chemicals and sweets then anything. Basically I can tell him to eat dinner, and he will refuse, then he will find a way downstairs (usually over 3 baby gates), and into the pantry or refrigerator, or the baking supplies, et cetera. It's been happening for at least a year now. He's a very picky eater.

Status
Not open for further replies.