Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HaoZi

As a guess I'd say describing him as a picky eater is amusing considering his choices (if you overlook the dangerous part).

As a difficult child kid I did have a thing for chemicals, but it wasn't about eating them it was about seeing what would happen when I mixed them. Having a difficult child of my own now, I understand why my parents refused to ever buy me a chem set.

keista

Yes, Haozi got it. Describing him as a picky eater was very amusing since one of the few things he wants to eat is chemicals. No offense meant.

If you haven't already discussed the chemical eating with his pediatrician, I think you really should. He probably should get referral to a nutritionist or dietician to get him eating REAL food. Raiding the pantry makes sense if he won't eat normal food - he's hungry and finds what is yummy. The chemicals? Well, some of them do smell very good, so maybe they taste good too?

InsaneCdn

Risperidone...

1) usually affects sleep in a positive way... but TIMING may be an issue; we were instructed to give it at supper, so as to time the drowsiness toward bed-time. Split dose? Haven't heard of that with this medication... but I'm not an MD or Pharmacist!

2) definitely takes 10-14 days to kick in, and may take up to 6 weeks to work out the real impact of side effects. So you may still be on a break-in curve

3) often increases appetite, may cause rapid weight gain... if he was prone to going hunting for food before Risperidone... he may well be worse, now. We were told to spread food out over 5-7 mini-meals a day rather than the normal "3"... as it can cause blood-sugar swings... and blood-sugar swings can make various cravings worse, but especially a sugar craving... not sure if the cravings are part of the weight-gain side-effect. (we have seen the cravings... had to spread food out over the day - haven't seen excessive weight gain)

Free Kittens

DS3

My lil one has a thing for inappropriate household stuff. Any thing that she can sift, sugar, flour, cat litter,laundry soap. I think it is soothing to her, like a sand box?

When she first got here, she would leave the house without permission. I ended up getting those really cheap door alarms for all the doors. She is supersensitive to loud noises and would set it off and stand there screaming with her hands over her ears. Worked like a charm. Maybe it would work to keep yours out of things?

Free Kittens

keista

Any thing that she can sift, sugar, flour, cat litter,laundry soap. I think it is soothing to her, like a sand box?

FK, DD1 did that as a toddler. As annoying as it was, I also thought it was cute UNTIL she got into her sister's formula - that stuff's EXPENSIVE!

DS3

I've just had it! I don't feel like I should have to go through and put locks on everything in the god damn house. He should listen. That's my big issue. He doesn't listen. Even with something simple like 'pick up your toys'. He would rather sit in a chair all day long and do nothing (not even watch tv) then pick up those toys. I don't get it.

H

HaoZi

The neuropsychologist evaluation might net some answers that will help or give you and the docs a better direction to work in.

keista

I've just had it! I don't feel like I should have to go through and put locks on everything in the god damn house. He should listen. That's my big issue. He doesn't listen. Even with something simple like 'pick up your toys'. He would rather sit in a chair all day long and do nothing (not even watch tv) then pick up those toys. I don't get it.

((((HUGS)))) I don't get it either. I have similar problems with DD1. She'd rather get to do nothing (for months) than do the things she needs to do. Ppl think that my issues with son should be more difficult, but no. Him I 'get'. His logic I 'get' and therefore can work with him and get around most obstacles. For me, this came very naturally. DD1 is a HUGE puzzle for me that I keep struggling to figure out.

Like Haozi said, hopefully the neuropsychologist will get you some answers.

DS3

Thanks for the support. I'm hoping we can get into seeing the neuropsychologist sooner then october. We just went to see a neurologist today, and he says there's nothing wrong, but that my difficult child is definately ADHD. (I couldn't give him his medications before the appointment, so he got to see the full range of it). So no need for follow up or any eeg's or anything. So now it's waiting on that last appointment.

On another note, I do have to go register difficult child for school today. Makes me feel old. LOL. And my easy child turns 2 this weekend. Yep. definitely old. :)

DS3

Also, I got a peek at a document yesterday at the psychiatric office, and I found out that they have diagnosed difficult child with ADHD, ODD, and PTSD. I don't get the PTSD.... I think I'm going to have to look into it. Any ideas?

InsaneCdn

The kid is 4. So, its probably going to take a few years to figure out either the correct set of dxes, or the complete set of dxes.

This is just MY guess, but...

If anything is likely to stick in the long run, it would be the ADHD diagnosis. Can it be noticable at 4? Sure. AND he's responding to medications. So, either it really is ADHD, OR the real diagnosis is one of the broad-spectrum dxes that includes lots of ADHD traits. Either way, go with this one for now, learn all you can about it. (Try: Driven to Distraction, a book about ADHD that's really well done) Other than medications (which work with some people and not with others), there's lots of well-tried ideas out there - and again, not all of them will work for your child, but there's good stuff out there. Schools are also (usually) somewhat aware of things that work for these kids.

Would be interesting to know which tests they ran to determine the ADHD... and whether or not they tested executive functions... because that is likely to be part of what you are dealing with - these include things like inhibit (self-control), initiate (getting started on stuff), planning, shifting (changing activities), etc.

ODD is kind of a catch-all diagnosis that more often than not gets tossed out to label problem behaviors that they don't have another explanation for. Yes, there are behavior problems... you already knew that! Why? this doesn't tell you anything more. MIGHT give you a little leverage at school.

PTSD??? not impossible, but... what kind of a trigger? at age 4? That would be a therapist/neuropsychologist determination.

DS3

We go to see the neuropsychologist on Monday. They got a cancellation and got us in then instead of October. I'm excited. Will be interesting to see what this shows.

Thanks for the recommendations on the books. I'll have to see about getting them so that I can read them. Right now his play therapist is giving me different books to read. One was the Overindulged Child, and now I'm on to Treating Explosive Kids, and Setting Limits. So when I finish these I will take a look into the one that you have mentioned. (I love reading and learning something new, so if you have any other suggestions, feel free to suggest away!)

InsaneCdn

Books - if you do end up with ADHD diagnosis sticking, get "driven to distraction" (by halloway, I think) - one of the best books out there about ADHD, including the positives... and the impact through into adulthood.

DS3

The doctor said he's definitely ADHD, and that it seems he needs some speech and occupational therapy. I'll get the full report next week.

BusynMember

My son and daughter had their testing done all in one day. The testing was from 8am-3pm. It was very intensive. They did get an hour break for lunch in which we took them out and they relaxed for a bit. We got a very detailed report that helped us A LOT.

It is normal for neuropsychologist offices to be very busy...they are currently the most popular "go to" people for diagnosing because rather than guessing they actually TEST. There are no right or wrong answers. The testing shows tendencies towards specific disorders.

DS3

My son and daughter had their testing done all in one day. The testing was from 8am-3pm. It was very intensive. They did get an hour break for lunch in which we took them out and they relaxed for a bit. We got a very detailed report that helped us A LOT.

It is normal for neuropsychologist offices to be very busy...they are currently the most popular "go to" people for diagnosing because rather than guessing they actually TEST. There are no right or wrong answers. The testing shows tendencies towards specific disorders.

We got there at 8am. They took my son in for about an hour, then they interviewed me for about a half hour, and then we were on our way home. I filled out approximately 50 pages worth of questionnaires/history. So I'm curious as to what this report will say, and if I will need to find a different place to go... It seemed awfully quick compared to what others have said on this forum.

T

TeDo

That is about how our first psychiatrist appointment went. Are you sure it was a neuropsychologist? I have never heard of such a short appointment for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.