Status
Not open for further replies.

DS3

doctor said that since he didn't look sleep deprived today (he actually got some sleep last night), that he wasn't going to change his medications. He did say that if I thought it was worth it, I could switch up the dosing a little and give him 15 mg in the morning and 5 mg in the afternoon to see if that would help. Sometimes its just so frustrating!

InsaneCdn

doctor said that since he didn't look sleep deprived today
Whap! Whap! and Whap!
Take that, doctor.

Sympathies. doctor's just DO NOT GET this whole sleep thing. We've had exactly ONE out of about 20 that caught on to what sleep was doing to mess up his brain.
But changing the timing... well, just plain TRY it. Just might have some impact - and if it has impact, then you have more ammo for switching or adjusting again.

DS3

We shall give it a shot. Worse case scenerio is its too strong in the morning and too little in the afternoon. We shall see. I figure if it gets to the point where the doctor wont listen, then I can always keep him up all night before his next appointment in two weeks. (Last resort, then again I may not have to the way he doesn't sleep now.)

InsaneCdn

If lowering the lunch dose DOES improve things at all... then I'd TRY trimming the a.m. dose as well and see how it goes.

Playing with dosages often is a good thing... he may need a "timed-release" version of something, rather than two doses and the ups-and-downs. We've been formally allowed to "play"... for example: granted one increase, with permission to try going up one more notch... on one drug, we needed both increases; on another drug, we only needed the first increase but had to move the dosage timing around. There's no "magical formula" that works... you have to find that sweet spot.

DS3

I have yet to try it. He does so well with it the way it is, and the only problem is sleep. I have never had him behave so well in the afternoons that I hate to change it. I know it comes down to one of those pick and choose type deals. I have yet to decide which one is better.

On a different note, in order to get my son into the behavior management and skills development, I have to re-register him into EFMP (military program for kids with exceptional needs). That itself takes about 2 weeks to get done, and then I will be able to schedule the appointment.

I have yet to hear from the school about the speech therapy and occupational therapy. I'm going to have to go through the school for the Occupational Therapist (OT) unless I want to drive an hour to take him out of state. Should I put the request for both in writing? I keep reading that the request should be in writing, which is why I ask.

The insurance company is coming to pick up the car today. So hopefully I can start car shopping by the end of the week. Thats about the only good news I have at the moment.

DS3

So the teacher pulled me aside today to tell me that my son is excessively talking through the first 2 hours of class. She wanted to see what time I was giving him his medications. I responded with 6am, and she thought that was early, yet it doesnt kick in until 9-930 or later. Class is only until 11 am. She did say that it had been a while since she had an ADHD child in her class, and one that is so extreme to boot. So I need some suggestions that I can give his teacher as to what we can do to make him listen better in class. (His disruptions are causing other kids to be disruptive as well). I can also try switching up his medications as well, so we can see how that works. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

DS3

So the disruptions continue. I literally have not had the time, nor the patience to look anything up in regards of how to make it stop. Not too mention that he now brings it home with him. He seems to get so focused on a topic that he brings it up over and over and over and over... For example, on Monday he went to the dentist. All I have heard out of him all day and night long is how he wants to go back to the dentist and get his teeth cleaned (I think its more for the sugarless frozen yogurt they give him afterward).

And this sort of tops my night. We had open house today. (I know, 9 days into school and already open house). The teacher asked me to leave while she held a meeting with the other parents because my kids were too loud. Understandable. They're kids. Doesn't mean it doesn't hurt when you're asked to leave your kids very first open house. We walked around a bit (the library was giving away free books, and I got to talk to the speech therapist to see how the process was coming along -she's going to check with the principal and give me a call). And when all of the other parents had left we finally got our turn to talk with the teacher. She said he's very smart/bright. He just doesn't know how to control his motor-mouth. And his hyper-activity doesn't show up in the classroom (he seems to wait until he gets home for that).

So yeah. Thanks for listening, and TIA for any ideas. I'm fighting a cold, and am going to go drug myself to make it through tomorrow's busy day. Night all.

InsaneCdn

She said he's very smart/bright. He just doesn't know how to control his motor-mouth. And his hyper-activity doesn't show up in the classroom (he seems to wait until he gets home for that).

Classic statement from a teacher. They just don't get it. Motor-mouth = hyperactivity, plus difficulties with the self control (executive functions).
It shows up this way more often in girls than in boys... but its still classical ADHD-style hyper-activity.
Most people don't understand that the part that is actually hyper is the brain. It can manifest itself in different ways... but when the brain hits overdrive, its a set-up that "ordinary" people just don't get.

The thing I hate about open-house nights? They are WAY too late in the evening. Kids are already wiped out - expect them to behave at that hour??? Get real. Hold the open-house on a teacher-prep day - late afternoon into early evening if you want. But so often they run from 7-10 or 7-9:30.

Add in start-of-school anxiety, and the kids are really wound up.
Its a bit better now for us - both are teens. But it wasn't that long ago... I remember what its like.

DS3

The teacher says she understands that it is part of the ADHD, but is wondering how to 'control' it. We're wondering if it's just going to take time to get into the routine, or if there is some other way to get him to be quiet in class.

On a positive note, I finally got some forms from the school to fill out. So hopefully that means that we'll get this IEP done soon. I also attend a training class this coming Sat. on the ARD/504's and what not. Knowledge is power. :)

I should also be getting a call from my case manager tomorrow in regards to where difficult child can get Occupational Therapist (OT). Still waiting on the forms for EFMP to finish being filled out from his various doctors. (and would you believe that his neuro-psychiatric told me to fill it out, and he would sign it? He said he didn't have the time to fill out the form... makes me angry. I'm going to see if it will go through with just the report he gave me.)

InsaneCdn

<sigh>
No, there isn't way to control it. You can't, teacher can't, difficult child can't.
He's too young for stims to work well.
And stims don't necessarily touch this stuff (executive functions) anyway.

Have you seen The Explosive Child? There's a related version called "Lost in School".
I have both... we use the first one at home, and have the second one to lend out to teachers.

Between you and the teacher, you have to figure out WHY he's doing this.
THEN and only then can you start working toward solutions.

DS3

I've noticed that it just isn't at school. Anytime I'm on the phone he's always trying to tell me things too, or when he is suppose to be going to bed, or anything else. I don't know if its for attention or some other reason. I'm looking into getting the book you mentioned. I enjoyed TEC, but I got that one on my kindle. Not so easy to 'hand out' if I get it that way. Thanks for the advice.

InsaneCdn

"Lost in School" is the exact same concepts, ideas, approach - including identical checklists and stuff - but the whole story line is set in school, using class-room situations.
Same author. Parallel info.

DS3

I've tried talking to him but he either doesn't pay attention/runs off when I try to talk to him, or he jibber jabbers about anything but the topic at hand. I've tried suggesting some ideas as to why but he never really tells me why or what's going on.

InsaneCdn

Has he ever had a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) evaluation? From the looks of your sig, that's coming.
I'd be looking for auditory processing issues... either classical Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) (difficulty making sense of verbal language), or other auditory issues (filtering, focus, discrimination) *** note this last one is "new", Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) needs to specifically test for it ***. Could even be related to hearing (they will screen that as well).

DS3

Has he ever had a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) evaluation? From the looks of your sig, that's coming.
I'd be looking for auditory processing issues... either classical Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) (difficulty making sense of verbal language), or other auditory issues (filtering, focus, discrimination) *** note this last one is "new", Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) needs to specifically test for it ***. Could even be related to hearing (they will screen that as well).

What does Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) stand for? I thought the neuro-psychiatric would catch any sensory issues? How is an auditory issue different? He just had a hearing test and it came back fine, same with his sight.

T

TeDo

Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) stands for Speech/Language _______. Can't remember the last word. They evaluate how he processes what he sees, hears, reads, etc. Basically they look at how he processes language in a variety of forms. It never hurts to cover that base too. A neuropsychologist won't necessarily catch everything in this area unless it's pretty obvious. An Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) evaluation delves more in depth in this area than any other professional can.

DS3

Pathologist is the word you're missing. He's already been diagnosed with a phonological disorder, so would we still need to see a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)? Or would they refer us to someone for speech therapy? I guess I'm trying to understand why my child would see this person since he already has a diagnosis. From what I was able to read about it, they just diagnosis and refer to therapy.

T

TeDo

When was that diagnosis made? Was it made by a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)? What was their recommendation? Sorry to be asking so many questions but I have come to realize through our personal experiences with my difficult child that it is sometimes worth it to leave no stone unturned.

DS3

The neuro-psychiatric caught it and diagnosis'd him with it. I'm working on getting speech therapy going through the school system (his teacher asked me if he saw a speech therapist on the first day because she caught that his language wasn't correct either). I honestly haven't had much time to research the phonological disorder until I did some quick searches tonight. One article says to get evaluation'd by an Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) for the disorder to see how bad it is, and if additional therapy is needed. So I guess that's my next referral to get.

And for the record, I just want to say that this is hard. Trying to decipher what the neuro-psychiatric has said, trying to get the referrals, trying to make time for all of his appointments, mine, his brother, family time, soccer practice, and just some down time. Just when you think you got something figured out and are on the right path you see another bump in the road. It's starting to wear at me. I'm just thankful that I found this forum and you guys since otherwise I think I'd still be a little left of lost. :)

InsaneCdn

I don't have the exact test names - we don't have our test reports back yet (I have the verbal reports) - but... I can tell you that chances are very high that the level of testing you had done by the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) was not necessarily complete. This additional set of tests is very new... many SLPs don't even know about this yet, and then there is the whole problem of funding for these tests etc. Here, we are fortunate that it was added to a particular "group" of existing services that actually makes sense - but it takes time to get in.

You may not be able to get this level of testing yet - in fact, it would be highly unlikely, given his age and possible other dxes. This is usually one of the "last" dxes... other things need to be ruled out or propper accomodations in place (adhd, for one - ruled out or medicated... because uncontrolled adhd makes the necessary testing impossible to do accurately).

But YOU need to be watching for it. Does it make a difference if he's in a noisy environment? How quiet is your home? (is the tv/radio on all the time? in that case, its constant background noise)
Another one you (and probably "they") won't be able to really test yet... is Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) - which involves a spread of language capabilities, with written being significantly stronger than verbal... but he doesn't have written skills yet (reading, writing).

Did they screen for hearing problems in general?

In other words - you need to know exactly what tests were done, which tests were not done (and why, and what the recommendation is for re-testing). At his age, you will NOT get a complete list of dxes. Too many variables, too many conditions that don't test well until later. But you need ALL the info you can get - so you know what else to get done when, and how, and why, and so on.

Did we suggest starting a parent report yet? Its under Site Resources. It will help you keep track of all this stuff and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.