Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneCdn

And for the record, I just want to say that this is hard. Trying to decipher what the neuro-psychiatric has said, trying to get the referrals, trying to make time for all of his appointments, mine, his brother, family time, soccer practice, and just some down time. Just when you think you got something figured out and are on the right path you see another bump in the road. It's starting to wear at me. I'm just thankful that I found this forum and you guys since otherwise I think I'd still be a little left of lost

Yes, it is. I didn't find the forum until a few months back... we've done most of it on our own. Research, figuring out referal processes, finding questions to ask and people to send the questions to. Solo.

It isn't an easy process. But in general... thins are better than when we started the process - more accomodations, a little more understanding from teachers and doctors.
So, while you are getting your own answers, you are both leveraging off of those who have gone before, and helping pave the way for those who come after... some of which may be your own grandkids.

DS3

Did we suggest starting a parent report yet? Its under Site Resources. It will help you keep track of all this stuff and more!

I didn't see it. Perhaps you can post a link where I can jump to it?

Glad to know that I would be wasting my time right now for that type of evaluation. We're still working on getting the ADHD correctly medicated. I'm hoping the speech therapy will help.

InsaneCdn

At his age, you're doing well to get speech therapy. You might want to flag the speech therapist on some of the other related concerns, so that these can also be watched for when they are working with him. At least here, many of these tests require pre-screening by someone at this level before the next level will even consider it... so get this person on your side, and they can "watch for other things".

I haven't figured out how to post links yet - but if you go to the main forums page, there is a "site help and resources" forum, and its in there.

DS3

I went in there and didn't see it. What's it called? Perhaps a good 'ol search will bring it up.

DS3

Thanks. :) I saved a copy to my computer and printed one out. Going to take a while to put together. I have most of his records in order though, so hopefully not that long. Great idea to have it all in one place. :) Should help with the upcoming EFMP evaluation I have to go to. Then I can do one for my other son as well.

BusynMember

Just a few comments.

First of all, neuropsychologist found ALL that stuff in just ONE hour? I would be skeptical, even though you filled out a lot of forms (we all do.) That is one SHORT neuropsychologist evaluation. I can't imagine how he could have done much testing. I suspect a later evaluation may show something different, especially if he has a longer, more intensive evaluation.

Secondly, Adderrall can make kids hyper-off-the-walls and that inclues MORE impulsive behavior and rapid speech and a bit of aggression in some kids. My son did not tolerate Adderrall well at all. I was told by our last doctor that stimulants don't really work on children who are under six. I don't know if this is true or not, but it WAS true for my child. He's an adult now and tolerates long acting Adderral well.

Seems like you'll be getting some good interventions for your son and, at his age, in my opinion that's the most important thing.

Keep posting :)

DS3

Just a few comments.

First of all, neuropsychologist found ALL that stuff in just ONE hour? I would be skeptical, even though you filled out a lot of forms (we all do.) That is one SHORT neuropsychologist evaluation. I can't imagine how he could have done much testing. I suspect a later evaluation may show something different, especially if he has a longer, more intensive evaluation.

Secondly, Adderrall can make kids hyper-off-the-walls and that inclues MORE impulsive behavior and rapid speech and a bit of aggression in some kids. My son did not tolerate Adderrall well at all. I was told by our last doctor that stimulants don't really work on children who are under six. I don't know if this is true or not, but it WAS true for my child. He's an adult now and tolerates long acting Adderral well.

Seems like you'll be getting some good interventions for your son and, at his age, in my opinion that's the most important thing.

Keep posting :)

I was wondering the same thing (about the neuro-psychiatric). We were scheduled for 8am to 11am, but ended up leaving around 10 because he was done. Should I see if I can get into a different one? Next closest is a 4 hour drive one way. Perhaps I should wait until we move back to NY.

We go back to see the psychiatrist on Sunday and I plan to ask him about the medication. We shall see what he says.

BusynMember

One hour is an awfully short time to have come up with so much, even including stuff about his parental relationship....? If this were me, I would go somewhere else. It's ok to wait, but I'd want a total neuropsychologist evaluation...that is basically 6-10 hours of intensive testing, observation and questioning. In the meantime, get him all the services he is entitled to receive...and hang in there. The first evaluation is rarely the whole answer anyway. His diagnosis is likely to change over time.

InsaneCdn

Ask the psychiatrist about the neuropsychologist evaluation as well...
Ours backed re-testing. Only he called it "needing a detailed second opinion". Told us that if the medication assoc wanted to know why, he'd just say "not enough detail in the first one"... no professional pushback, just a request for MORE.

DS3

I will when we go back. Which won't be today since they haven't filled out the paperwork I need yet. Mind you I dropped it off over a week ago. I was told today that the lady that fills them out has been out sick since yesterday. All they could offer was an apology and for me to call back on Monday. (this is the psychiatrist).

The neuropsychologist sent it back to me saying that his report should be good enough and that he doesn't have time to fill out the paperwork.

And it seems to be MIA from his psychiatrist.

Mind you, I hate paperwork just as much as the next person, but this is suppose to be able to get my difficult child the services that he needs. Unless they're trying to now tell me that he doesn't need them? I'm not going to assume anything, but one would think they would care just a little bit more when I have been trying so hard to get it done. Especially with the rates that they charge (luckily enough the insurance is paying for it). Just makes me mad.

DS3

So I went to this class today about the ARD/IEP's in the area. Found out the school district my son is enrolled in is the worst in the country. And that they'll try to screw you if you don't know what you're doing with the ARD/IEP process. Always nice to find that out. So we shall see what happens.

In the end, it was a very informative class, and I walked away knowing that I did indeed learn a lot about the process and the steps that are required for the process. Took a lot of notes, and even learned a little about myself along the way.

When we went to leave, my son proclaimed in front of everyone that he didn't want to go home with me. That was a nice touch. Then again I think he was just over-stimulated and way over-tired.

On a positive note, the psychiatrist actually has the paperwork filled out and will give it to me tomorrow at difficult child's appointment. So 1 doctor down, 2 to go. Process seems to be taking forever.

Been a long long day, so I do believe that I'm going to go put the kiddo's down and relax myself. :)

H

HaoZi

OooOOooOooOooo just noticed your city. I'll check with a friend that way and see if she knows a good IEP advocate.

DS3

OooOOooOooOooo just noticed your city. I'll check with a friend that way and see if she knows a good IEP advocate.
That's actually what the class was for. To become an advocate. Still would be nice to talk to someone in the area that has been through it though. I've never done one before.

T

TeDo

GREAT idea. Your SD sounds kind of like mine. I "won't go anywhere without her" (my advocate)!!

InsaneCdn

It really pays to have someone else at the table with you - especially if you know they are not generally cooperative. This "3rd party" tends to keep things on a more even keel, just by being there - and brings up points that you can't, and is there to support your point of view.

Having learned so much in the last 10 years, I'd love to find a way to become an advocate for others here... but its really hard to be THE advocate for your own child. *** that doesn't mean that you aren't!! it just means that it pays to have someone else "in your pocket" to add weight to your side of the table ***

L

Liahona

Everyone in the meeting has some reason to be learning about IEPs. difficult child just announced to the room why you were there. I'm sure there were other parents there who had been in the same situation. I'm glad you learned a lot. And I'm glad you were forewarned. What did you learn at the meeting? TX does things a little different. I've never heard of ARD.

DS3

ARD stands for the Admission, Review and Dismissal meeting. When everyone else decided to switch and call it the IEP, Texas said, why bother? So it's still the ARD down here, but it is the same thing as the IEP.

Since a friend pointed out that this has gone from a parenting topic to a school/IEP topic, I will move the rest of the class information there (and basically continue this post there). It may take a little bit to get up as I have to take difficult child to his psychiatrist this morning, and the class covered a lot of information. There's actually 3 follow up classes/workshops to do after this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.