Jena

hey,

i'm sorry to see you are having a rough time of it with-difficult child still. i'm glad to see you posting and getting info from everyone here, it helps alot.

miles2go

Thanks all, heya Jena, not too bad, his allergies are insane, I was afraid to give him Claritin but finally was doing to tonight but by that time he was sleepy and wanted to resist taking it and I passed on that battle. Tomorrow I can put it in him.
Thanks for the splitting the dose tip, I think also giving it to him later makes it last later next day.
Ok so what is a neuro-psychologist? He was evaluated a year ago by an outfit that made money with bio feedback and he was given a bunch of tests and a brain scan, they were actually the first ones to question ADHD diagnosis with high beta waves not limited to just frontal lobes, is that it?

N

Nomad

Your son is exhibitng many of the same behaviors/symptoms as our daughter did when she was very young. She too was told to leave preschools a few times. She was hyperactive and impulsive. She had very similar reactions to medications. She was eventually diagnosis'd as ADHD and Bipolar I. Children often do NOT exhibit clear highs and lows with bipolar illness. That symptom is more common with- adults. The Bipolar Child book was like a Bible to me when my child was younger...a real blessing.

She currently takes Ability, as well as other medications. The Abilify has been a helpful medication for her. Another very helpful medication has been Lamictal. Please inquire about these medications...ask the doctor. Abilify slows her down a bit...allowing her a little time/space to make better choices. When she first took it, it upset her stomach...but very quickly became accustomed to it. Don't hestiate to experiment with medications if your doctor has an interest in doing so...they can provide relief. We found that medications and therapy in the end...both...were needed to get some decent control in the picture.

VERY IMPORTANT...protect your relationship with- your spouse and any other family members. Nurture it...take the time that it needs to remain healthy. Having a special needs child can be a large burden. Get support...do what you need to do to make life work in a healthy manner for you and your family.

Miles...Our daughter had lots of difficulty on vacations and when schedules changed. What we did was try to keep things as consistent as possible. Vacations were often to the same places...same hotels even. Many things were prepared in advance. Extra time was taken for things. Things were explained slightly more carefully for her (without overdoing it). In some cases, she was given extra medication (with the doctor's permission).

Last edited:

miles2go

Thanks Nomad. How does Bipolar I manifest in kids this age as opposed to Bipolar II? His psychologist diagnosed him as 'obsessive' and 'definitely not ADHD'. His psychiatrist is sure of the bipolar diagnosis, after the police call. I assumed this was bipolar II since he's in a happy state unless his desires are thwarted which, since he wants to control everyone, is bound to happen often. I did up his dose to 7mg today -- turned out yesterday there was another event pretty close to violence (didn't get to hitting ...).
Me -- married dad, almost 50
difficult child(m) 8, BiPolar (BP) ablify 7mg