Newbie desperate for help with ODD

O

Oddgirl

We have an 11 yr old daughter diagnosed with ADHD/ODD. The ODD is causing chaos in our home, relationships, and all of our lives. We are just starting to investigate psychiatric help and medications. She has been taking Intuniv but it's not helping. We've been to three counsellors- no improvement for her, no relief for us. If there is anyone who is further along this road than we are your advise would be greatly appreciated. Where do we get experienced help???

BusynMember

Hi there.
Wow, sorry you have to be here, but welcome.
I think a little more info would help us a lot. First of all, right off the bat, I'd dump the counselors and have her tested by a private neuropsychologist. Sounds like she has never had a through evaluation and NeuroPsychs do 6-10 hours of intensive testing in all areas of function. Now for the questions:

1/Are there any psychiatric problems on either side of her genetic family tree (including relatives she no longer lives with because the genes ARE there anyway).
Any substance abuse?

2/How was her early development, such as speech, good eye contact, relating well to same age peers (then and now), any quirks, any obsessive interests, does she transition well from one activity to another? Did she play normally with toys and does she know how to have a give-and-take conversation? How are her social skills. Does she seem to have slow development in life skills? Easily frustrated?

You may want to do a signature like I did below.

Welcome again. You will get a lot of help.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Hello and welcome. Sounds like your are desparate to reclaim your home and your families life. I always felt that difficult child sucked so much energy out of the room, that there was nothing left for the rest of the family. Hang in there. You aren't alone.

As we tell every new member, we need some background info to understand what's going on. 11yr olds are on the cusp of puberty and not very pretty to deal with. I wish there was some place 11 to 15 yr olds could go to be miserable all by themselves but it ends up they are ours to deal with.
Below is the link to the forum help page. It will give you some info on what the abbreviations mean and how to do a profile signature. It's difficult for us old timers to keep all the stories straight. It's a good resource too.
http://www.conductdisorders.com/forum/f7/

Can you tell us a bit more about your child?
What sort of behaviors you are dealing with?
How does she do in school?
Does she have friends?
How does she spend her free time?
How are her grades?
Who lives in her home with her?
How long have you noticed difficult and challenging behavior?
How does she get along with siblings?
Just a few questions to get you started. Obviously, we would never diagnose anything. All we can do is share our experiences and what we did and what didn't work. Of course, we are here to offer you any support and suggestions we can give.

S

snowbash169

We have an 11 yr old daughter diagnosed with ADHD/ODD. The ODD is causing chaos in our home, relationships, and all of our lives. We are just starting to investigate psychiatric help and medications. She has been taking Intuniv but it's not helping. We've been to three counsellors- no improvement for her, no relief for us. If there is anyone who is further along this road than we are your advise would be greatly appreciated. Where do we get experienced help???

Hi I am new hear too, and have an 8 year old son with server ODD, social and emotional disorder, anxiety, attachment disorder and selective mutisim. I wish all this could be alot easier and I too would like to know were to go to get help??????????????????

At the moment I am looking at respite as I have no family close and I am exhausted, debilitated, frustrated, confused, angery, and worried.