Newbie Here

CathyO

Hello everyone.
My name is Cathy and my 5 year old daughter Kelly was just diagnosed with ADHD and ODD.
Does anyone have any advice on where to begin?

smallworld

Cathy, welcome!

It might help us if you give a little background on your daughter. What behaviors are you seeing that concern you? What kind of doctor diagnosed her? Were medications and/or therapy recommended? How does she do in school, both academically and socially? That type of information will help us point you in the right direction.

Again, welcome to the board.

house of cards

Hi Cathy, I'm Kathie too. This is a great place to get ideas, understanding and support. Others will come along with more thoughts, I just wanted to welcome you and suggest you read The Explosive Child and/or parenting with love and logic (not sure of the title) Use what makes sense to you.

A

AprilH

Hi there! My son was diagnosed at age five with ADD/ODD. From this point on, keep detailed records of every piece of paper, prescription she is given, medical records and so forth so you will be fully armed with info when you go to different doctors. It's a good idea to keep a diary of her behavior, appetite, sleep patterns and if they change when she is given new medications also. My son has tried so many medications, I can't keep track of them, save for the diary I have kept. Don't get frustrated (easier said than done!) when you go from doctor to doctor and you have to recite the entire life story up until that point for your daughter and what has been going on with her. I pretty much know my son's verbatim, HAHA! If she is in Kindergarten, you may want to ask her school about the possibility of getting an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for her also, if it's feasible. There are also Behavioral IEP's too. Those can help you and your daughter's teachers figure out the best way to accommodate her needs at school. This will also open the door for a school counselor to help you along the way.

Some good books to read are the ones already mentioned by some of the fine folks in here, and I also recommend 'From Defiance To Cooperation' by John F. Taylor, Ph.D. and 'The Challenging Child' by Stanley I. Greenspan, M.D. Most of all, keep your wits about you and try not to let your daughter see you sweat (again, easier said than done!) ODD kids seem to look for cracks in their parents' armor so they can exploit their weaknesses! Best of luck to you, and keep us posted in the coming weeks! :laughing:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hi and Welcome,

You've found a great community with some pretty fantastic parents.

Until you can post a history - why not check out the archive forums on the items you are looking for. This family is a wealth of information and support.

You may also want to post in the Younger kids forum as well as here.

glad to have you!
Star

CathyO

Thank you everyone for the advice and warm welcome.
Kelly tends to be very defiant on many levels and has been for years. She is always on the go, loud, picks fights, blames others for things she has done. She was diagnosed by a pediatrition who specializes in behaviour disorders. He rememmond therapy and support groups. He, my husband and I decided to wait out the rest of the school year to see how she is then take it from there.
She has a tendency to be anger or frustrated at any time especially lately if a certain "friend" in class doesn't stand in line with her. She is doing very well in school for the most part. Her writing needs work but most areas she is doing well in. She doesn't have many friends.

smallworld

Cathy, a lot of kids who are first diagnosed with ADHD and ODD actually have different disorders altogether because the symptoms of many childhood disorders mimic one another. That's why we recommend a thorough evaluation with a neuropsychologist or a multidisciplinary team at a children's or university teaching hospital. It's really important to figure out what's going on because the right kind of interventions early on can make all the difference later on.

Marguerite

Welcome, Cathy. It's good she's got a diagnosis at this stage. Smallworld's right though, be prepared for this to be something else; keep an open mind. In the meantime, you have a label that educators can hang their hat on, to get her some degree of support.

If you have a look at the Early Childhood forum you can get a sneak preview of how "Explosive Child" works. read it - it's gotta help.

That insistence that her friend be in line with her - it sounds a bit obsessive, which can be part of the ADHD but can also be part of other conditions (such as Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) - we live with that, plus ADHD).

Again, welcome.

Marg

BusynMember

Hi, Cathy. I'm on board with smallmom. ADHD/ODD is often a first diagnosis, but can be a wrong one. I highly recommend seeing a neuropsychologist, but I see that you're in Canada and don't know a whole lot about your healthcare system. I wouldn't feel right having a pediatrician, even one who says he is an expert in behavioral disorders, diagnosing my child. It could be a neurological problem or a psychiatric problem--both are medical disorders, not behavioral ones. Sometimes kids are given stimulants when they don't really have ADHD (but a mimicker) and they get worse. Do you have any psychiatric or neurological issues on either side of your family tree? Welcome to the board!