Newbie thinks child might have ODD

Bewildered

Wow, massmuma, your daughter sounds a lot like mine. She too is well liked and does great everywhere but home. She does occasionally try to hurt herself. When she was younger she tried to bite herself a lot, she stopped that after she REALLY hurt herself once. Now she tries to punch or slap herself sometimes. It's heartbreaking. I just found this site myself yesterday. I hope we both find the help we need and get to the bottom of our children's anger. There is a wealth of knowledge and advice here!

graceupongrace

I feel like she acts the worst with us. If you met her you would think I was exaggerating her behavior becasue she is so charming and hilarious and cute

massmumma,

This sounds just like my difficult child. About a year ago, he admitted that he manages to hold it together around other people and then unloads on me because he knows I'll love him no matter what -- and he can't say that about teachers, friends, etc.

You've gotten lots of good advice from the others. I would just encourage you to stop blaming yourself. We've all made mistakes. We're not perfect parents, but we are loving parents who want our kids to grow up to be healthy, independent, functioning adults. The fact that you're trying to help her shows that you care deeply about her.

I would also caution you that raising a differently wired kid is a journey. There are no quick fixes. Most of us have been through different diagnoses, different therapies, different combinations of medications. It takes time and patience. I'm pretty new here, but I'm so grateful to be in the company of parents who not only "get it," but care deeply about each other's struggles.