e.bryant

My husband was diagnoised a few months ago with ODD and she's been in therapy the last two months and trying medication for the last month.

One of my many delimas is that she's not ccoperative in her therapy sessions she gives one word answers if she bothers to answer the question ..so we're making no headway there she's so hostile that there seems to be a never ending circle of negativity surrounding our relationship.

I've read a couple of suggestions on the internet about remaining positive and letting yuor child know when they done something that you're proud of but but if your child is locked in a cycle of bad behavior what are you supposed to say. Some nights I lie in bed replaying our interactions and I can't believe this is really happening.

If anyone has some tried and true suggestions please share!

smallworld

Welcome. I'm glad you found us.

Sorry for all the questions, but your answers will help us help you.

How old is your daughter?
What kind of doctor diagnosed her? What kind of doctor is treating her?
What medication/dose is she taking? Is it making things better, worse or about the same?
How does she do in school, both academically and with peers?
Any mental health issues or substance abuse in the family tree?
Any speech or developmental delays?
Any sensory issues (sensitivity to clothing tags, loud noises, food textures, for example)?

ODD rarely stands alone. It describes a set of behaviors that are typically fueled by an underlying disorder. When the underlying disorder is identified and treated, the oppositional behaviors generally improve.
Furthermore, there are no medications that treat ODD, just the underlying conditions.

You might want to get your hands on a copy of The Explosive Child by Ross Greene. It has helped many of us on this board parent our extra-challenging children.

Again, welcome.

e.bryant

Daughter is 11

She was diagnoised by a clinical therapist She was perscribed lexapro 10 mg by her psychatrist he believes and I agree that she's also quite depressed and was hoping this medicaine would help with the depression and take the edge off some of her anger. I've not seen any signifigant change so far and we have an appointment next month so I'll ask him then.

As far as school her grades have droped dramatically she says she has not interest in school but she does have a few friends but her teachers have told me that she can be hostile towards them as well as the other students.

I've struggled with deppression off and on for several years and I think her biolgical father (we're divorced) has some issues as well no substance abuse on either side

no speech/developmental/sensory issues

Welcome to the board. You have found a soft place to land!

Many of us moms (and dads) have the same issues with our kids. The first piece of advice that I would give is for you to get your hands on the book "Explosive Child" by Ross Greene. It has helped a vast majority of us in dealing with our kids behavior.

As Smallworld said, ODD almost never is a diagnoses all by itself. Another suggestion I would give is to have your child thoroughly evaluated by a neuropsychologist. They do a much more in depth evaluation and can determine if there are underlying issues. See if the therapist can give you a referral; otherwise check your local children's hospital or learning university.

Lastly, if you go to the top of the page and click "user cp", and make yourself a signature, we can better remember who you are (we have a LOT of members!) Again, welcome. You will find a lot of support here.