Newborn question

mstang67chic

Going Green
I was at the folks house last night to visit sis and the baby. While I was holding her, she started doing something that I don't think I've seen before. It was like she was dreaming and her eyes were moving (sometimes opening) and her arms but mostly her legs were twitching. At one point, her legs were really going at it. I hate to compare a sweet little baby to a dog but honestly, it was like watching a dog dream run. Know what I mean??

Is this normal? No one mentioned it to me so I don't know if she's done it before. She was breathing during this (maybe a little faster) and didn't turn colors so I know she was getting oxygen. I guess it just freaked me out a little.

rejectedmom

Yes it is normal, their nervous systems are not fully developed yet. If it persists after a few months I would mention it to her peditrician but at this age it is not a warning flag. -RM

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thanks RM. I was going to say something last night but sis has been a bit overboard on the overprotective first time mommy situation and I didn't want to freak her out.

***Ok so maybe not overboard but she's got that first time mommy thing going on bad! LOL

DammitJanet

And just why wouldnt that sweet little thing dream about her favorite things in the world? Probably nursing at this point...lol. Maybe that cute little infant in the warmer next to her in the nursery...lmao. Running to daddy?

Or maybe it was just gas!

susiequte

My son (now 13 months) did it also. It lasted a few months and went away. I'm a nurse and it freaked me out...but I was in "Mom" mode and not "Nurse" mode. LOL

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If it continues, let the pediatrician doctor know, he might want to check it out to be sure.

Travis did this often, but he also went rigid.....horribly so. His were seizures, but I had a hard time getting pediatrician doctor to not just dismiss it as immature nervous system.

Hugs

K

Kjs

Normal. I believe it is called REM sleep.

"Infants will spend as much as 50% of their sleep in active sleep (REM dreaming)"

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thanks everyone. I'm guessing that either sis already has seen it and the nurses told her about it or she hasn't seen it. Otherwise, the way she is, she would have had that baby in the ER faster than anything.

Janet.....:rofl:

Visions of bottles dancing in her head! LOL

Not "Daddy" though...we don't talk much about him. He found out sis was preggers and basically shrugged his shoulders and wished her luck. This is his THIRD child by three women and his current honey is pregnant too. Add that to the fact that he's 32, she's 21 and well......he's slime.

DammitJanet

Oops Sorry stang. I dont know why I assume most men (I use that term loosely) are like mine and want their kids. Both my boys cried when their daughters were born.

One thing I am eternally grateful for is that we didnt have to go through "new momitis" with Cory's baby momma when Keyana was born. Keke was her second child so she was pretty blase about things and didnt get all freaked out when little things happened. She allowed Cory to learn on the job...lol. If a diaper was crooked...oh well. I know Keke ate dirt, fell down, got bumps and bruises. None of us freaked out because all of us knew kids do those things. Things could have got nasty if anyone had that "omgosh...she is being abused" thing going on.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I think the natural "new mommyitis" is nature's way of keeping babies safe. I would never pooh pooh it. It's important and all of us went through it. Afterwards, we realize that babies are not that fragile.
I'd much rather be over attentive than under attentive. Same with other new mom's.

If something strikes you as "out of the norm" a new mom,old mom or relative should question it. The mom is the child's best chance of survival in this world. Dad's have a different role completely. in my humble opinion. How many of us were ignored when we questioned behavior? None of us experienced moms have the market cornered on baby behavior. We simply know what our babies did. We missed things and over reacted to things too.

As an aunt, I would watch for a bit and if you think the new mom should ask the doctor, pull her aside and ask if she noticed something.
I do think it sounds like normal new born sleep patterns but if it raised a bit of a flag for you then that baby deserves your attention enough to bring it to mom's attention.
Let an expert tell mom that it is nothing and that auntie is over reacting.

TerryJ2

Yeah, I remember when my easy child did that ... slept and dreamed with-her eyes partially open. We laughed about her being possessed. :) She didn't twitch quite that much, though.

mstang67chic

Going Green
As an aunt, I would watch for a bit and if you think the new mom should ask the doctor, pull her aside and ask if she noticed something.
I do think it sounds like normal new born sleep patterns but if it raised a bit of a flag for you then that baby deserves your attention enough to bring it to mom's attention.
Let an expert tell mom that it is nothing and that auntie is over reacting.

We were up again this weekend (*grin*) and I noticed it again but not nearly like it happened before. But, then again, the first time she made a fussy noise while I was holding her, Mommy swooped down and scooped her up! LOL