Newby!!

Mitzi Paws

Hi everyone! I am new here. I am the mom of a 12 year old girl with an anxiety disorder and ADHD. Some days are hard to get through. Well, I just wanted to say,"HI!!":laugh:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Mitzi,
Welcome! Most of can relate about having days that are hard to get through. Glad you found us-you are not alone! This is a very supportive group. Weekends are slow but more will be along!

Mitzi Paws

She was diagnosed with both 2 years ago by a psychiatrist in Michigan. She is currently on paroxetine 20mg per day for the anxiety and concerta 27mg per day for the ADHD. Her behavior is irrational. She seems to make almost everything a fight. I liken it to pushing a rope. Of course some of her behavior can be attributed to her age but everything with her seems to be a struggle. How is everything with you??

trinityroyal

Hello Mitzi, and welcome.

I'm fighting a deadline at work and don't have a lot of time, but your post struck me and I just wanted to weigh in here quickly with my own experience.

My difficult child showed a lot of symptoms of anxiety and had been diagnosed with ADHD as a child. He was put on Concerta for the ADHD and Paroxetine for the anxiety. He seemed more able to focus on the Concerta, and the Paroxetine reduced his anxiety, but his defiance grew more pronounced and the ADHD symtoms did not really settle down.

Further investigation (YEARS later, after being on these medications for quite a while), showed that his ADHD symptoms were lookalikes. He has Asperger's syndrome, Bipolar disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), which were resulting in manic behaviour, which was made worse by the Concerta. The Paxil with the reduced anxiety, led to a lot of impulsivity, which difficult child struggles with anyway (which resulted in serious run-ins with the law...another post for another time).

I'm not saying that my son's diagnosis is the same as your daughter's OR that her current medications are not working. I am suggesting that a closer look at the medications and a re-evaluation, ideally by a NeuroPsychologist, might be helpful.

ADHD medications help with true ADHD, but a lot of other disorders present with similar symptoms (hyperactivity, inability to concentrate, ODD behaviour, etc.). If the ADHD medications are not helping your daughter, then it may not be ADHD that she has.

Just something to think about as you're trying to find the right sort of help for your child.

Trinity

4sumrzn

I would like to welcome you as well! I will leave this one to the pros here.....I have not been through this with a 12 year old "yet", still working on 7 ;) You have found a wonderful place, full of advice & somewhere to feel that you are not alone.