News artice on transforming autism behaviors

Janna

Yeah, I've heard of it. I have some MySpace "friends" that have blogged about it, some it's helped, others not. It's not really geared toward treating the Autism, in my opinion, it's geared toward treating inappropriate behaviors.

From that article, it doesn't sound like Marissa had an Autism problem because she'd scream and cry and throw a fit when she didn't get what she wanted. That's called being a spoiled brat (*ducking behind the desk now* - sorry to anyone this offends). Isn't it miraculous that when you send this guy in for a week to teach this teenager and parents to say what you mean, mean what you say and when you do good, good things happen, she's what? Cured?

*cringe* - sorry - I'm having Jenny McCarthy flashbacks. I'll go back to my corner.

4sumrzn

If someone could come in to my home & "cure" everything with difficult child in a week. I would sign up right now. Honestly, if that's all it took & the blame was put on our parenting...I'd take the blame too! I know that my difficult child has many issues & I'm sure we could benefit by using different methods sometimes treating her behaviors. But, I'm also sure that my difficult child has WAY more going on & this would not "cure" her. But, as I mentioned in the other post, my Sis is an ABA therapist & works with children with many disabilities. Some of the methods work in a positive way for some & not others. I would be willing to try ANYTHING that anyone is willing to offer even if it only made a small difference. Of course I like the "cure" idea though :) Don't see that happening any time soon.

TerryJ2

LOL! You all typed what I was thinking--if I could get someone to come in for a week and totally focus on my difficult child, THAT would be the key. In Real Life, the doorbell rings, someone has to go to the bathroom, the dog barks, there's a meeting ...
but the basic idea in regard to the therapy is what we all do on this board. Reward good behavior, withhold things for bad behavior.
If I really had eyes in the back of my head, and could be with-difficult child one-on-one, AND get the entire family to be the same way, it would surely speed up the process.
I'm not slamming the therapy, just saying that it works in a vaccum. :)

I laughed and laughed. So true, no quick fix. Consitnecy ,mean what you say, does help. But with the level of persistence and the mood stuff goign on with my difficult child who I supsect is Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), it is not that easy, she escalates, and escalates. However, structrue does work graet. What they descibes, does work for her. BUT she has to be stabilzed on her medications, not be in pervasive mania, plus not using other substances. That has to be the focus presently. Compassion

I have mixed views on ABA therapy. It helped my oldest son out greatly when he was younger, but he did major backsliding the older he got. Up until the age of 9, he received intensive in home ABA therapy. 25-35 hours per week.

To this day, I am still unsure as to whether the reduction in hours of therapy is the culprit, or not. He was backsliding well before his hours got cut.

The fact that this girl was helped so tremendously from one week is in my humble opinion a rarity for children who are severe. Nonetheless, what a blessing that her and her family were able to have such success.

KTMom91

Did the article say this guy cured the autism, or just that he helped the child become easier to live with? It's been a very long week already, and I'm not seeing too clearly. If a one week session actually cured the girl's autism, then I would dare to say she may not have been diagnosis'd correctly. However, if teaching coping skills and appropriate behavior were the focus of the session, then to what degree did her autism affect her behavior?

Move over, Janna, I'm right there with you. With the Jenny McCarthy thing, too.

Janna

I came back, cringing, to make sure I wasn't under fire LMAO! I'm surprised. The article says:

"Until recently, the Bilson household was under siege. Thirteen-year-old daughter Marissa, who has autism, ruled the roost, screaming shrilly until she got her way and enjoying special privileges that didn't extend to her siblings, Brittany, 15, and Brendan, 6. "

She ruled the roost. She screamed and cried until she got her way, enjoying special privelages. Because she was Autistic? Did she do this prior to being "Autistic"? And, EXACTLY what kind of "Autism" did she have (it never says and that burns me).

It goes on:

"The family couldn't go out in public because of Marissa's tantrums, and they couldn't take her into stores because she'd shoplift what she wanted, or just scream until she got it. "

I have to wonder how many years she just kept on screaming until she got what she wanted? This isn't Autism. This is learned behavior (or ODD or whatever you want to call it).

It doesn't say it cures it...sorry, I just kinda sarcastically threw that out there.

TerryJ2

Yes, most reporters from CNN and anyplace other than the Nat Enq. know enough not to use the word "cure." :)