News Story: Student Docked 25 points for saying Bless You!

pasajes4

I woke up to this story on the local news this morning. A high school teacher in California docked a student 25 pts. because he said bless you when another student sneezed in class. The teacher's position was that in this society saying bless you was not necessary because we no longer need to bless the evil spirits away. The principal did not agree with the teacher's action. The school district ruled WITH the teacher. As a result mayhem ensued in the class when all of the students fake sneezed and all of the kids in class would say bless you followed by thank you and you are welcome.
Class was totally disrupted. I say good for them. How redonculous and just reinforces my belief that schools bring it on themselves when they become so rigid that a teacher can censor and punish someone for saying bless you.

T

TeDo

I find it weird that the school district disregarded the principal. In our SD, the principals carry a lot more weight than any (& all) teachers. Cripes, I first learned the history behind the phrase when I was in HIGH SCHOOL health. By then, I had said it so many million times, it was a habit. It was just something "polite" I was brought up to say.

Good for the kids!! I am glad they chose to stand up for something, but in a harmless way.

keista

Now I'm wondering if the teacher gave any sort of alternate expression? Her explanation is technically correct, BUT saying Bless You has become a a social habit and a matter of common courtesy. Gesundheit is often used, but it is not English. So, does this teacher and SD plan to singlehandedly destroy common courtesy, or do we have a replacement phrase here?

flutterby

Fly away!
I say "Bless you" to my daughter when she sneezes and she's atheist, and it doesn't bother her. It doesn't carry religious significance - it's just become the polite thing to do.

pasajes4

tThis story is just one example of how schools have just gone above and beyond the pale when it comes to finding ways to make school more miserable than it already is. Not to mention the time this takes from meaningful instruction and a districts waste of educational funds when they have to pay court fees to justify their stupid actions. My school district suspended a kid for wearing a letter jacket from a competing school. The kid had transfered and it was winter not to mention it was the only jacket he had.

buddy

I agree with all of you. It is just an automatic social communication tool. It now means something like...hope you're ok. It is as automatic as when we say, How are you? in passing... that simply means "hi" a lot of the time. Actually, in our area if you really listen phonetically....people say BLESHYOU. It is kind of a one word response. And if it is not said--since it is such a common thing-- the person may feel ignored and hurt.

If we dissect every word or phrase we use now, and only want to use what it meant in the past it would be overwhelming. Think of all the idioms, slang and other conversational conventions.....Maybe the teacher is a difficult child? Sounds really rigid and rule bound.

DS3

I agree with all of you. It is just an automatic social communication tool. It now means something like...hope you're ok. It is as automatic as when we say, How are you? in passing... that simply means "hi" a lot of the time. Actually, in our area if you really listen phonetically....people say BLESHYOU. It is kind of a one word response. And if it is not said--since it is such a common thing-- the person may feel ignored and hurt.

If we dissect every word or phrase we use now, and only want to use what it meant in the past it would be overwhelming. Think of all the idioms, slang and other conversational conventions.....Maybe the teacher is a difficult child? Sounds really rigid and rule bound.

Your post makes me think of the movie Gran Torino... If you haven't seen it, it's chalk-full of derogatory comments that people often find offensive. But not once was 'Bless you' in there.

It does make you wonder what the world is coming to though. Perhaps it was really the teacher who was offended and decided to use his/her power in the wrong way. Either way, I'm glad the students stood up for themselves. It is a polite thing to say when someone sneezes. ~shakes head~

TerryJ2

Interesting post, Pasajes4.
Sheesh!

Flutterby, I'm a nonbeliever, too, and "Bless you" is indeed a nice thing to say. by the way, Geshundheit means pretty much the same thing, but I'm betting that teacher isn't bright enough to know that.

Good for the students! (And I can just imagine the mayhem with-all those fake sneezes, lol!)

This is political correctness run amok for sure.
At least the students learned a lesson they will not soon forget. It would have been okay if the teacher said, "Oh, that' reminds me, in medieval times. people used to bless the spirits away. Isn't that interesting?" But noooo, she had to assert her authority rather than TEACH.

keista

Gesundheit literally means Good health. I know several other European language translations are "to your health". These expressions are quite logical for a sneeze (or any bodily outburst) Really thinking about it, I find it odd that in the English language, there are many ways to say the same thing, but only one accepted expression after a sneeze. Hmmmmmmmmmmm