Nichole in ER for the 3rd time!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This kid has had a time of it, I'll tell you.

Nichole has been at the ER twice today.

She woke me this morning to ask me what it means when your urine looks like it's straight blood. Still 90 percent asleep I told her it meant she has a kidney stone and she needed to get to the ER.

So, I fell back to sleep and she had boyfriend run her to the ER. They did no xrays, no tests. Told her she had blood in urine....duh.....sent her home with a script for antibiotics.

The excruciating pain hit this evening. boyfriend rushed her to the ER. Different set of docs happened to take the girl serously when the pain alone was causing her to toss her slushie all over the waiting room. A CAT scan of the kidney's showed 2 stones, one still in the kidney, the other in her ureter.

doctor believes this is what caused the pain that took her to the ER last week, not the gall bladder. (pain was the same) So.....a shot of demerol and script of vicodin and anti nausea medication later.....Nichole just got back a short while ago. She has all the equipment needed to collect the stones.

I told her I hope she actually passes it. Kidney disease is rampant in our family. Not a single member with a stone has managed to pass it. We tend to get the cockerburr type, the one's that get hung up on the way out.:faint:

Nichole told me when she got home that she has new respect for my disease and admiration for my ability to cope with the pain.

Nichole's gall bladder still needs to come out, regardless of whether or not it was the cause of the pain that took her to the ER originally or not. Her surgery is 6 am on Monday. (if they decide to go thru with it while she's dealing with this other) Then she has to call the urologist for the kidney stones.

D*mn. Poor kid.:(

tiredmommy

Ouch! I'm so sorry to hear she's suffering with kidney stones. I hope she manages to pass them quickly. {{{Hugs}}}

everywoman

Poor Nicole. I hope the pain medications, vicodin, and anti-naseau medications do the trick and she can get comfortable enough to rest. I do know when Jana went for knee surgery they canceled because of white cells in her urine.

Jena

i'm so sorry to hear that. I"m glad he brought her back second time and they took the time to find out what's going on. gotta love er's NoT!! Sending you guys some hugs....

hope her pain decreases and i've heard how horrible that can be.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Aw, poor kiddo! Man, you hope she passes it, but then again, if they have to remove it otherwise...well, it'd be nice to only go under once, ya know? Not sure what to hope.

I know, I'll hope she feels a LOT better REALLY fast. Hugs.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Ow! Poor Nichole. I hope they pass quickly. I've never had stones but it landed husband in the hospital once and even though he passed some he ended up needing surgery. Hugs to Nichole and prayers they pass quickly.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Ouch. Both husband and easy child have had stones and passed them. Not very comfortable. It's tough to force them to drink more water. They don't hydrate enough.

Hope difficult child gets better.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Wow, ouch. My mom passed so many stones growing up...it was horrible to hear her. Also spent some time in the hospital.

I feel so bad for Nichole. I hope she is able to pass the stones and with as little pain as possible. Sending hugs and prayers.

TerryJ2

Aaaargh!
You should work at the ER. I'm ticked that they sent her home with-antibiotics.
Well, at least she's got 2 accurate dxes now.
Poor thing.

Steely

Arrggg............sounds exactly like me and my ordeals with kidney stones. It concerns me that they sent her home with a stone in her ureter. She needs to be kept a very close eye on, because if it does not pass within 24 hours, then it needs to be removed - otherwise the urine can start blocking up into the kidney.
And oh, the pain!!! God bless little Nichole.
I have Medullary Sponge Kidney, a rare weird birth defect basically - but it causes the kidney to produce innumerable stones. It is a life time of fun, let me tell ya. But the first time you have a stone is so scarey - I remember being like Nichole having no clue about what was going on - except I was peeing blood and felt like my back was in labor trying to shove out a 3mm cocklbur as you said.

Give her many hugs. And make sure she is back in the ER if she has not passed it within 24 hours.

K

Kjs

:holymoly: So, this could of been the cause of her pain last week too?

Poor girl. I can't imagine all the pain she has gone through.
Is her gall bladder surgery Monday - Like tomorrow Monday?

Praying she feels better.

Oh no!!! Here's hoping everything passes smoothly, and the pain medicine does it's job! Poor Nicole!-Alyssa

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
So far the pain medications have it down to a tolerable throb. Hopefully it stays that way.

And yes, her surgery is 6am tomorrow morning......unless the surgeon decides to reschedule due to the blood in her urine and the kidney stones.

Stella Johnson

I used to get them every other month until I found the best doctor in the world. I love that guy.
I had several that were too large to come out and had to have lazer surgeyr to blow them up. Hurts more than giving birth.

This doctor was a nephrologist not a urologist. He put me on Diovan HCT. I had high blood pressure anyway so he changed my BiPolar (BP) medications from just plain Diovan to Diovan HCT. HCT is hydro chloro thyazide. HCT prevents them from forming in my system. my urine was too acidic, this is the main reaons ppl ge them though there are several other reasons.

Basically cut down on salt, try the HCT either by itself or with the Diovan, and take a tsp of baking soda per day.

One doctor had put me on this horse pill I had to take twice a day to help the acidic urine. Well the nephrologist told me that stupid pill that cost me $150 a month was actually just baking soda in a pill. So I switched to the 50 cent box of arm and hammer.

Since all this I haven't had one stone. :D

Steph

Steely

Stella that is what I am on as well for my BPresurre and stones. The HCT (which is a dieuritic) in the Diovan forces the urine faster out of the kidneys, helping to not let the stones accumulate as much. Daisy you might ask the doctors about this if it keeps happening to your daughter.

Stella, do you mind PM the name of your Dr.? I need a new urologist or nephrologist, I cannot decide which route to go - but since I have Medullary Sponge Kidney I am thinking a Nephrologist.