Nichole's Nephrologist visit

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
She didn't get the doctor I want to go to, but the other doctor ( a woman) in the practice. Nice lady. On top of things.

I had Nichole stop by the hospital and get all the medical records and test reports. doctor can do nothing without info and I saw no reason to make them wait for it when Nichole could pick it up and bring it to them. All you have to do is know to ask.:tongue:

doctor read all the medical records of her hopital stay then got the family history. (which is why I was there) doctor is not going to mess around. Nichole will go back in 3 wks. She will have labs done that will tell the doctor what her stones are made of. Then doctor will know how to treat so she won't make any more stones. The kid still has many small stones in both kidneys. doctor is also going to do other testing to see if she'll need a water pill ect. doctor started her on a low sodium diet. She is to be aware of how much calcium she's taking in so as not to over do it.

Good news is that doctor said since the renal failure was cleared up fairly quickly chances of damage was minimal and most likely not permanent. whew

But the fact that Nichole occasionally swells in her face hands and abdomen threw her for a loop and she will be looking for any possible reasons for this in the test results. It was good that Nichole was having a "puffy" day. Not as bad as usual but to a trained eye it was hard to miss the swelling in her face and under her chin.

The test for the stones is fairly normal. And the medications are good about preventing them when taken as directed. But the rest is due to family history.......with kidney disease so rampant in the family, espeically the types, doctor is taking no chances and wants to nip anything that may be going on in the bud.

Good visit. :D

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That's really good news!

My dad is a chronic stone producer for as long as I can remember. He's supposed to avoid foods with oxalic acid or something like that.

Steely

Your kidney problems sound similar to mine, and I am just curious what the diagnosis is? If you don't mind sharing.
I have Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease, MSK. Super rare, but thought I would just ask to see if we might have the same.
It is SO hard to find good doctors. I am glad it sounds like you found one.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Steely actually I have several dxes as they sort of all lead into each other. You'll have to excuse any spelling errors as it's late and I've been studying pharm for hours, my brain is tired. lol My dxes are glomerolsclerosis, nephrocalcinosis, chronic nephritis, and nephrotic syndrome, which of course led me into chronic renal failure. My sister shares the nephrocalcinosis and chronic renal failure dxes with me. The other 3 sibs have a rather long history of stone making and infections. Discovered not long ago it seems to come from my paternal grandfather's side of things, as he also had quite a bit of trouble.

Hmmm. I can honestly say I've never heard of yours. I'll do some research into it when I have some spare time. Sounds interesting. I had a neighbor once who had polycytic kidney disease and found it facinating learning about it. Also had a urologist who believed that was my issue........until he got my medical records. lol

I made certain with easy child these nephrologist were good docs before I even considered them. The plus side to having a daughter who is an RN and works the step down unit is the girl really knows the docs in the area. lol Comes in mighty handy. :)

We had a chuckle over the lab tests. I told Nichole she wasn't having them done at our hospital. She would have it done where easy child works. Our hospital stinks and their lab is even worse. I know I did clinicals in it for phlebotomy. doctor chuckled when I said it and said she agreed. So Nichole, even though she'll have to drive 20 miles to get them done, also agreed. lol I feel better knowing she's got a good doctor watching over her.......and especially before any major damage has been done. Hopefully that will keep her from traveling the same road I have.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Lisa I was so excited when I saw you posted about this and I'm so glad that Nicole has a great sounding Dr who will stay on top of this and is already putting a plan into motion (diet). Great news!