Nike and Michael Vick

DammitJanet

This is a sport (if one can call it that) that draws various sorts of people and the rich and famous athletes seem to be among the throngs that are drawn to it because it has bloodlust, action and betting.

Dog fighting is really big around where I live. I know quite a few who do it. Makes me sick. I actually know of someone who is a fairly big wig in the scene and it made me wonder when they said Vick bought dogs in NC.

They make fairly small local busts in our area regularly but nothing to compare to this. Even the guys who do fight are outraged at the inhumane way the dogs were treated by Vick. Hanging? Electrocution? No Way!

Some pro sports players will stand behind Vick because they are probably busy worrying about when the cops are gonna come knocking on their doors. I hope they clean house.

This is right up there with co ckfighting.

The feds took it out of the states hands because a federal indictment would go a lot further than state charges. They have around a 95% conviction rate and don't go for it unless it is a pretty rock solid case.

Yes, my agency was involved.

My agency has also been involved in breaking up c o c kfighting rings too.

Anyone involved in that type of activity deserve every horrible thing that happens to them.

VLong

I was watching (well, surfing on the TV) the CNN news tonight and I couldn't believe that they are now making this about RACE! :grrr: One guy was going on and on about how they "target" the black athletes such as, get this, OJ Simpson, Barry Bonds, Terrell Owens, etc, etc and it's no big deal if Paris or Brittney gets arrested for DUI. I was LIVID!!! :thumbsdown: I don't care if this guy is black, white, green, blue or purple!!! I would be just as disgusted and sickened if it was Peyton Manning, Tony Stewart or Martha Stewart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!When are we going to make PEOPLE be accountable for their actions no matter their race??? And when are some our athletes going to stand up like MEN and be good, upstanding role models for our kids? They make millions and millions and some don't deserve one red cent.

witzend

We had the same situation with Damion Stoudemeier. They used to call the Blazers "The Jail-Blazers". Too young, too much money, too easily influenced by bad people looking for a quick buck.

Like I say, Wyntersgrace, tell easy child to watch Joey Harrington. He's a really nice young man.

Marguerite

Vlong, you said, "I couldn't believe that they are now making this about RACE!"

I agree with you. I've only just worked out, by reading more posts and the clipping someone posted, just what this is all about. I have no idea who this guy is, no idea what he looks like and I was sympathising with you all.

The race card gets played as a last resort, when people feel they have lost enough ground and are grabbing for every straw. I think if they're trying that tactic not only is it a low blow, it shows that they have nothing else to try to use, to win back sympathy.

It's like the Aboriginal girl who used to bully easy child at school - easy child didn't even realise the girl was 'black' (more like a dark olive skin, anyway - about the same as me). But the girl had been using the race card to avoid dealing with the REAL reason easy child was rude to her - because the girl was being a pest and a bully. Once the Aboriginal girl realised that we had no problem with her race, she apologised to easy child and they at least stopped being enemies, even if they didn't become deep friends. They respected each other and were friendly to each other. And this girl dropped her attitude and began to really work properly, instead of carrying that big chip on her shoulder that didn't need to be there. She went from difficult child to easy child, just by realising that race was only holding her back because she let it and used it as a crutch. She became proud of her Aboriginality, instead of angry at everyone else. As it should be.

That school was a real melting pot, the kids got to know each other independent of race simply because there were more varieties than Heinz. It's hard to be racist (or accuse people of being racist) when your group is the one in the majority! easy child at times used to say she felt like the 'token white kid'.

Paris & Brittney get pulled over for driving offences and the world hears about it and is just as critical. But they're not involved in dog-fighting. If they were, can you imagine the flak? And being white and famous hasn't saved Nicole Ritchie.

Ignore the race card. it's totally meaningless. To use it in this situation is itself a racist act, in my opinion.

Marg