No blood draws necessary with trileptal?

JJJ

Yep. Eeyore has been on Trileptal for a couple of years. He has the annual blood draw that psychiatrist requires of all patients but nothing specific for the Trileptal.

klmno

by the way- is this one less likely to cause cognitve dulling or about the same as the other mood stabilizers?

mom_in_training

My son takes Trileptal and has for about 6 to 7 months now and his neurologist has said nothing about getting labs, If anything he wanted to put him on a medication that would not require labs. Now for the Dilantin he would have to get labs periodically but we are currently in the weaning process trying to get him off of the Dilantin and every four weeks when I go down on the Dilantin he will have breakthrough seizures and so far everytime I have gone up 1 ML on the Trileptal as instructed by the Dr. He also takes Keppra and after he is completely weaned from the Dilantin we plan on weaning him from the Keppra as well in the hopes that we can control his seizures with the Trileptal only. That would be nice only having him on one seizure medication. Oh and no labs for the Keppra either.

mammamo

I work in a facility where we have several people that have severe seizures. If I may ask how long has your child had seizures from birth or after?

mom_in_training

My son has had seizures since he was about one month old. Started out as petite mall and has esculated to grand mall about 7 1/2 years ago coincidently after getting the Baclofen Pump. Prior to the pump he had been seizure free for almost one year on a very minimal dose of Dilantin only. Hmmm, This is why I think that the Baclofen had something to do with him suddenly having grand malls although the doctors say no. He contracted meningitus 2 days after he was born and was in the hospital for 29 days. Shortly after coming home I noticed that he was having lil seizures.

klmno

Thanks all! My son doesn't have seizures- he's starting on this for cycling. I thought it was a mood stabilizer.

JJJ

Most mood stabilizers were originally developed as anti-seizure medications. So you are both right :)

mom_in_training

Was not sure if mammamo was asking me about the duration of my sons seizures but thought to respond. I am aware that these medications are also used to stabilize moods as well... :)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
KLMNO~
K was on Trileptal last year, we had to Difficult Child it due to severe stomach pains, I am talking blood curdling screaming rolling on the floor, PAIN!!! This lasted over a month.
But I think we went too high of a dose too fast... I would consider revisiting this medication, if possible one day, knowing what I do now. I would do an initial blood draw though just to check blood levels.