No drivers ed

JJJ

Eeyore is just too unstable to be allowed to drive a car. He is very frustrated with me because he feels that he did what he was suppose to do in order to be allowed to take the class. When I pointed out his behaviors that have concerned us to the point that we made this decision, he just stomped off.

I think on some level, he is relieved. I know he wants to "be normal" and do things like get his license but he also knows that his emotional control is very poor.

We'll revisit this next year as he does have to take the classroom portion in order to be able to graduate.

DDD

difficult child#2 passed the Driver's Ed course but the instructor said "he still needs alot of practice". His Mother let him get his license two years ago. I love the kid to death but OMG he does not have the ability to focus on multiple images nor does he have a clue as to how defensive driving is implemented. I've had to detach since he moved back in with his Mom but I truly worry about his safety and the safety of others. Sigh.

Maybe your son will chalk it up to "my sorry parents won't let me drive their car" so he can save face. That's what difficult child#2 did. LOL DDD

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I feel bad for Eyeore - but you can't take any chances. Driving is a HUGE responsibility.

Sounds like trying again next year is a good call.

Wiped Out

Staff member
(((Hugs))) I know we will be dealing with the same thing come next year at this time. Short of a miracle there is no way difficult child is getting his license when he turns 16.

JJJ

Another example of his impaired thinking....Eeyore came home with a box of candy to sell for a trip that he is not eligible to go on. I had specifically told him that he was NOT to participate in this fundraiser (imagine $75 worth of candy in the hands of a boy with minimal impulse control).

Eeyore insisted that it was "free candy".

difficult child 2 said he wanted his license when he was younger but I think it was mainly because he thought it was something everyone was entitled to once they turned 16. difficult child 2 has executive functioning deficits, poor impulse control, etc. and there was absolutely no way we would have given our permission for him to get a driver's license. He now lives near public transportation, has a bike, rides it everywhere (a bit scary but his life coach has spent lots of time teaching him where it's safe and not safe to ride), and no longer cares that he doesn't have a license. He tells us he is happy about all the money he is saving. We're breathing a huge sigh of relief... SFR

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
SFR - this is exactly it. Onyxx thinks that magically on August 18 she will get her license, a car, etc. Just because 6 months before she got her temps.

She has NO IDEA. And I'm not going to push. I will push Jett when the time comes.