No more political commercials!

BusynMember

Well, since I live in Wisconsin, which was considered a swing state (although I knew it would go for Obama :)), I AM THRILLED not to have to mute my TV or throw out half my mail! Man, that was annoying from BOTH candidates!

witzend

Well, since I live in Wisconsin, which was considered a swing state (although I knew it would go for Obama :)), I AM THRILLED not to have to mute my TV or throw out half my mail! Man, that was annoying from BOTH candidates!

Absolutely! Let me tell you, NC was no picnic, either.

And our house guest was a campaign canvasser with a personality identical to L's. You know the type of person who will find a way to point out a flaw in everything you say regardless of whether they agree with you? And when they're wrong, it's worse. "They don't need to shut down the airports in NY for a hurricane, planes fly into the wind all of the time." (Flooding, anyone? Loss of power?) "A virus can't turn into pneumonia." "Your toilet is having a problem. Do you have a plunger?"

Last night after every news outlet had announced that President Obama had enough electoral votes, and that Romney was on his way to the his campaign headquarters he said, "I don't think that Romney will concede. He will wait until the electoral college meets next month and contest it." I kept saying "The states won't let him do that. The election's over. He can say he won't concede, but he can't hold up the electoral college." "He could. I think he will." I finally looked him in the eye, pointed my finger to my chest and said, "What I'm saying is that it is my opinion that he won't, and if he did it wouldn't get further than tomorrow." I'm not at all sure whether he dropped it because I made such a forceful statement, or that 5 minutes later Romney conceded.

Oh, and he couldn't figure out how to put a dish in the dishwasher unless we told him that the dishes in there were dirty and he should put his dish in it. The man was at least 40 years old!

I've learned my lesson. Fish and guests can stay for 3 days. Period.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
For me it wasn't the commercials, I watch tv so little that I didn't catch very many of them.

Instead it was the endless phone calls, the mail, the knocking on the door........... I swear to heaven above I've never done so many polls in my life. It's like I got on some major list or something. First several I tried to be nice about it, I mean they have to get the info from someone right? After that, I just started hanging up on them.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooo glad it's over and done with.

witzend

For me it wasn't the commercials, I watch tv so little that I didn't catch very many of them.

Instead it was the endless phone calls, the mail, the knocking on the door........... I swear to heaven above I've never done so many polls in my life. It's like I got on some major list or something. First several I tried to be nice about it, I mean they have to get the info from someone right? After that, I just started hanging up on them.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooo glad it's over and done with.

Lisa, you live in Ohio, so it's going to be a battleground state FOREVER. But, if you want the phone calls to stop, I will tell you what they magic words are to make it stop. Before the conventions, you'll get calls from both parties. When they call say, "I am voting for xxx." It doesn't matter who you say you're voting for. If you say their guy, they'll ask if you want to volunteer and if you say "no" that's ok. If you say the other guy, they'll say "thank you" and won't call again.

After the convention, you'll get calls from only your party. The very first time they call, tell them who you're going to vote for. If there's early voting in your state, tell them you're going to vote on election day, otherwise they're going to keep calling you until your ballot has been cast in early voting. They won't call you again. They also won't knock on your door.

How do I know this? I was one of those people making those calls. No one really cares what you say, and you can lie if you want. But if you say "I haven't decided", or "I'm not going to share with you", they're going to keep calling until you do. Your answer is recorded with the national office's database by midnight and the next day you should be out of the database and not be bothered again. Bothersome? Yes. Legal on both parts? Also yes. Do what you have to in order to keep them from calling and knocking if that is what bothers you. It may irk you no end to give them information - true or false - but legally they can keep asking, and financially they're going to stop once they get an answer.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I did tell them who I was voting for on the very first call. I never got a question about early voting, though. Next time I'll just volunteer I'll be voting on election day if they don't bring it up. Thanks!! :)

Except several of those polls had little to do with who, and more to do with why. The questions varied widely on those so I dunno how I could cut them off short. AND they're calling for Travis as well since due to his age group. But he just plain will not talk to them period, he hates talking on the phone and only does so when given no choice.

witzend

But he just plain will not talk to them period, he hates talking on the phone and only does so when given no choice.

Explain to him that he gets the choice back by saying, "I'm voting for X on election day. I don't want to take part in your survey."