No More Strength for This

Bugsy

Tycjcj,
Thanks for the support. i did read the Invisible Mother post. It brought tears to my eyes and at other points in this journey/nightmare i would have found strength and comfort in it but this time just tears. Like I said I just can't find the strength. I am still going on and doing everything I need to do for him and the family but I am sad and even empty inside right now. I wonder how many more times we will need to go through this bad time? Will this bad set back ever end? And will I ever get used to having to live like this?

I appreciate all of the support. Nothing seems to be softening this set back. Perhaps in time I will get some spirit back but I think I NEED him to improve for me to see any light.

tryinghard

Bugsy,

I wish I could take over for you for a few days and give you a break to recharge yourself. I understand all too well how you feel. There are MONTHS that days on end I do not know how I can get through the day. I too have a easy child that is 17 and I feel for her that she has had to deal with almost all our engery going towards her brother. I tell her all the time how proud I am of her and that this is what parents\family do when someone needs support. I try to stay positive for her.

Here is something I hope you draw some strength from.....My newphew was the worst cause of ADHD and ODD that I had ever seen. He was mean, disrespectful, violent...everything you can think of. He is now 18 and one of the most wonderful young men I know. He is respectful, loving and working to become a paramedic. My sister-in-law did it herself as a single mom. I do not know how she did it. She will be the first to tell you that she did a lot of things wrong BUT she told him how much she loved him and believed in him every day.

My difficult child is 12 and it seems his behavior is getting better each year. When he was 6 our evenings and weekends were filled with battles and melt downs. If I got one good day a month it was a miracle! Now we get a meltdown once every few months.

I wish I had magic words but I do not....I can tell you that what ever happens, I will have no regrets because I know I did my best and never gave up on him...or myself for that matter!

There is one more things my dad told me once.....He said, "In your worst moment remember there are a lot of parents out there that would beg to have another moment with their child to reach out and hug them...no matter how difficult they are being". Sometimes that puts everything in perspective...

Hugs...

Star*

call 911........call 911
Bugsy,

Just wanted to send some support your way -

Shalom (repeat) (repeat) repeat.....

Star

Bugsy

Tryinghard,
THANK YOU for the positive story. It seems like all I hear is one negative outcome after another.

I wish there was someway to have lots of postivie outcomes to refer to when a pick-me-up is needed.

tryinghard

Let me share one other thing with you....that I hope will give you some hope.

My son NEVER showed any affection to me unless I initiated it. Never an I love you, never a hug, never would make me anything....

This last week I went on a job interview and as he was walking out the door to school he came back and hugged me and said, "Love you, good luck today":love-very: Yesterday he went down stairs to make himself a milk shake. He came back up with two and handed me one and said, "I made an extra one for you":D

I have waited 12 long years for these moments and they FINALLY have come!

It will come for you too, it really will.

STAY STRONG AND KEEP BEING THE GREAT MOTHER I KNOW YOU ARE!!!

happymomof2

Huge ((((((((((Hugs)))))))))), hang in there. My son is in "Special Education" classes and because of that he can go to any public school within our district. Is that a possibility for you? Is there another public school that isn't as crowded? Just a thought.

Right now my difficult child is doing really well. Knock on wood!! But I have so been where you are. Especially going broke and my easy child getting pushed to the side to take care of difficult child.

tycjcj

fighting for his rights
my son is 14 and doesn't allow me to hug him without pushing me away. I tell him I love him and he says "whatever". I try to get him to come in and watch a movie with me and he never wants to. He tells me to leave him alone. I so know how you feel. It is soooooooo hard and heartbreaking. There are times many times when I don't know how I will go on but somehow I find the strength to keep going even though there are times I feel I can't do it anymore. The other night my son cam into the living room and handed me a glass of iced tea. Wow! I was so surprised! It doesn't happen very often but when it does it is a huge reminder that even though our children don't say it every day they do love us. We were watching the news one night and a story came on about a woman who had been beaten and robbed. My son quickly said to me "aww that is messed up. If anyone did that to you mom I woud be mad" Those words weren't I love you but they meant the same thing. Keep showing love for your child and he will learn to love. It takes time and doesn't happen often but I'm sure the feelings are there even if he doesn't show them. When I was growing up I never told my father how much he meant to me. I would tell my mom but I never told my dad. I guess I thought he should just know. Then when he passed away I felt a lot of regret for that because I never told him. It hurt so bad! I guess my point is that just because they don't say it doesn't meanthey don't feel it. hang in there. Don't give up. I know it is hard and painful and we want the answers so bad but all we can do is continue to love them and guide them and know in our hearts that we have given our all. We are all here to offer you much support. Don't ever feel like you are alone. I have cried many times wondering if I was doing right, feeling guilt, and just wondering if I am appreciated and loved in return. Mothers of special needs children are very special angels put into the lives of their children. However, special needs children are angels put into the lives of their mothers. There are so many valluable lessons to be learned from our children if we are willling to open our hearts and our minds to them. I look at it like this...God chose to give me this child because He knew i was capable of raising him. He knew that this child needed someone special for a mother and I feel blessed that God chose me for the part. He never said it would be easy but he gave us angels to guide us through it. Some of those angels are the mothers who understand what we feel and choose to join these forums to give us a soft place to fall. Remember it is not how heavy our load is that we carry but how we chose to carry the load that matters. I hope I have helped you in some way and I will keep you in my prayers. It is a long hard ride but there is hope and laughter along the way. We just have to find it.

Cory

I haven't been back here for a long time so you don't know me, but your post caught my eye. The Jewish day schools where I live are often not great options for special needs kids. They mean well and try, but many of the teachers just don't have the skills they need for our types of kids, and most of the schools don't have the resources for them either. I liked the idea of maybe considering public school for your difficult child and try keeping your easy child there. Sometimes the smaller day schools will even let you do something in exchange to keep the tuition down. Working in the office a few days a week, perhaps? Something along those lines.

I know how scary it can be to put difficult child into the public school, but if he truly needs a smaller environment, they will filgure that out pretty quickly. They have to provide him with an appropriate educational setting and perhaps they can work him through the IEP process pretty quickly and you can find a smaller class that is just right for him. It's something to think about, at least.

As for taking care of yourself, I agree with all the others, but your post really brings me back to where I was about a year ago. I couldn't sleep, couldn't de-stress no matter how hard I tried, tense all the time, and on-edge. After going through just about every sleeping pill on the market, which were all ineffective, I talked to my girls' psychiatrist about it and she had me come in for an evaluation. Turned out I had chronic anxiety disorder. Ya think??? Dealing with kids like ours can make that happen pretty easily. I'm on an antidepressent and xanax now and doing sooooo much better. Can you talk to your doctor about how you're feeling? Perhaps a short stretch of medications for yourself can get you over this super hard time.

I feel for you. There are many days I feel like you do, but there is hope and things will get better. Hang in there.
Many hugs,
Cory

K

Kjs

Take a deep breath. Remember how special YOU are to have a child so special. And tomorrow I may be the one crying. Today was a good day. Tomorrow we take as it comes.

Oh the school. I have fought the school for several years. Sometimes showing up on a daily basis. I have been a pain in their butt.

I was a strong supporter of the public school. The past few years have changed that.
With the overcrowding as you mentioned, the kids (my son) has been bullied not only by students, by staff. How does one learn when you are afraid? Superior test scores, skipped a grade...doesn't matter. It is all about doing things and saying things the teacher wants to hear/see. Also, doing it the "normal" way. My son does not learn the "normal" way. Teachers do not accept his way of solving problems or doing work. They want it the "normal" way. He is not wrong, just arrives through a different path. He has often fallen through the cracks and is nothing more than a number to the school. That is why I am there. Often. Way to often. I am tired. But I am there...To close those cracks.
Once a teacher takes the time to get to know him, they see a bright, happy kid. That rarely happens and what they see is a frustrated child they believe is acting out.
My son is in 8th grade. Last year of the awful dreaded middle school. He has applied, and been accepted at a small pre-engineering high school. 380 kids 9 - 12. He has more kids in just his 8th grade class. I am praying this makes a difference. hoping it is not too late.

Tuition/money....is there anyone or business or church group that will help sponsor your children? I learned of this when the Spec. Ed program director approached me regarding a foreign language field trip. It is to another country. I told her there is no way we can afford that. I was told no child will be left behind due to cost. There are many businesses that donate and sponser education. it would not cost me anything.

We chose not to go. Hard decision. It would be a great opportunity to use his language skills. He is just to young to go without us. A new country at age 13. Hopefully his High School years will provide another opportunity.

Check around. I hope you find the funding needed. Good Luck.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Bugsy,

I'm not sure where you live - BUT....you need to get with someone/psychiatrist/doctor/clergy that can get you TO people who can help you formulate a plan.

Without a plan - you will constantly feel sunk and alone. And in true difficult child fashion you should work with people that can help you facilitate this plan A and have a backup plan B.

A lot of people come here and are at their wits-end. They post and want advice because they can't take it anymore, and believe me there isn't a single person who has children and comes here for support that hasn't felt that on a daily, weekly, monthly or some days minute to minute basis. There is hope - there is support here, but realizing that sometimes you as the parent are going to have to give up the "movie in your head" of what you think should happen is the first step to helping.

I think a lot of parents come here thinking that there may be a magic pill or a book, or diet or wand that we have that you don't and that it will solve all the problems. Odder yet are those who come here, ask for advice, get it and then sit back and go - "Um no - I will do this differently (MY WAY) and not compromise anything I want. You have to be willing to give up even more than you feel you already have. You have to be willing to understand that THIS IS how it is - and while it can be better it takes a LOT of work on your part and on your child's.

Sometimes we are willing to jump through hoops - and our kids don't want to even look at the hoop. The first thing I wish anyone had told me was that this IS a life-long disability that occasionally some grow out of - but most will need continued help and/or we as the parents will have to eventually learn how to detach from our kids and let tough love have it's turn. That is hard, it stinks and no one wants to EVER EVER get to that point with their kids, but sometimes in an effort for self preservation - you must. It doesn't mean you do not love your children. Rather I think it means you love yourself enough to step out of the ring of fire and see the behaviors before you see the child. You learn over time - you have to deal with the behaviors first - then the child may emerge.

One thing at a time - and ALL with a plan. All with a united front with a spouse/so/partner or some support system in place. Currently you need a break from your kid. You need a weekend a day, a dinner, a boatride, a something - away from your kids and not a minute to think about them or their problems. It's not running away - it's self-preservation to clear your parental head so you CAN and ARE able to deal with the 221 things a day that are going to creep up and bite your ankles with each passing minute.

Call a local university and ask them if they have a psychiatric department. I do not know of a single teaching university that will refuse family therapy on a sliding scale fee - and sure you are probably going to get a 4th year psychiatric. student - but for your kid - that's better than nothing AND sitting in someones office and just 'letting-go' for 45 minutes IS a healthy outlet to de-stressing. That's why women have girlfriends we blab to - it's what we do. Some men too.

I know you want your kids to go to a religious school. And I guess I did too. But at what point do you say WHERE he goes to school is more important than getting a support team? Don't ever question that God is there - he is , but you aren't dealing with God in the temple - or school ...you're dealing with people, men/women. And they may or may not ever have had something like what you are dealing with to deal with themselves. So they are at a loss and unknowing about any thing that will help. You are at wits-end and unknowing about anything that will help, but across town is a school that has experience about dealing with kids like your son. Seems like it would be at least worth a try.

IF you got him in with a therapist, and got the school on board - there would be 2 people in your support team, if you got counseling for you and hubby - there is your united front against the behaviors you see daily from difficult child. It's not going to stop them - but it sends a message that THOSE BEHAVIORS are not going to be tolerated. If you get with a good family therapist you can get a home behavior plan in place where you set rules, consequences (short term as long term groundings and the like do NOT work with these kids - their memory is that of a gnat for remembering rules) and of course rewards. And oddly enough you can allow your son to sit in on the punitive part - ask him what HE thinks would be a fair consequence and discuss why. If he's totally unreasonable - tell him he's excused and that he is apparently not mature enough to sit in on a family discussion about his consequences.

I am sorry to be so long winded, but it sounds like you're floating in a sea of doubt - and looking for a life-line. This life isn't easy. I just know after all these years of dealing with my son I'm blessed to have him, and my life would be sadder without him. I think some days that God thought toooooo much of me to give me a child like he did - but then I see others here and read their stories and think - My gosh - I've got it easy.

get some R& R - check into the places that you can get therapy and family therapy and therapy for you alone at, check the schools out and what they could offer to help. And keep coming here - it's super support.

Glad to have you in the family -
Hugs
Star