No school and --19 F this morning. Post your crummy weather.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Loth, sending some hot cocoa and marshmallows your way. Better bring in some more wood and get your comfy slippers on 'cuz you ain't goin' no wheres! Brrrrrr!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The snow might melt, but hey the water from it will be cold!! buewwwhahahah

We're at zero. I dunno the windchill. Yahoo doesn't show it, but I think easy child said it was in the neg teens at least. brrrrrr

*hiding behind a snow fort loaded with huge snowballs*

slsh

member since 1999
Minus 11 right now. Don't know what the wind chill is, don't care because really - after a certain point, cold is just cold!!! :frozen:

We have so much snow that husband had to shovel a path in the back yard for our beagle to get out.

I told him and *told* him that I left the Midwest 20+ years ago for a reason - moving to Hawaii was by far the smartest thing I ever did and I cannot believe I let him bring me back here!!! :2cold:

Must be love. :rofl:

Wiped Out

Staff member
I saw a news clip today of someone outside using a frozen banana as a hammer. He was pounding a nail into a wood block!

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'm staying way out of the snowball fight.....too freaking cold for me! LOL

As of 8:36pm Thursday night it is a whopping -9 degrees and I have no idea what the wind chill is. Stupid cold would be my guess. But....we're scheduled for a heat wave this weekend. Highs are supposed to be in the low 20's. Woo Hoo!!!!!

They cancelled school today and probably will again tomorrow as tonight is supposed to be even colder than last night. What got me though was they didn't even delay on Wednesday when we were having close to white out conditions because of blowing snow.

As for the frozen eggs....here is a video of one of our newspeople throwing hot water into the air. It freezes almost instantly.

http://www.wane.com/dpp/video/local/Subzero_water_experiment

TerryJ2

Okay, I'm crying Uncle.
It's 18 degrees here. It's supposed to be 15 or less tomorrow. That's unusual for this area.
Still, it's better than MN, when I had to walk to school ... yada yaha ...

Andy

It is so cold here that we can not make snowballs - the snow is too cold to stick together in any shape. I think I will ask my neighbor if I can use his fish house. I bet I can warm up the snow enough to make snowballs.

It has warmed up to -22 F. I don't know the windchill. We are suppose to get a heat wave and break zero F tomorrow.

Terry, you mean you have heard the "I had to walk to school uphills both way" story also? My dad likes to tell a time he walked to school in freezing weather only to figure out it was a Saturday and no school.

cadydid

Ok now I don't feel so bad about my 10 degrees.. I'll consider myself lucky..

And it's finally cold enough that DS is not arguing about wearing his winter coat. So even though it took me an hour to get to work, boss was a pita, and 18 yr old not so daughter is being a ROYAL pita, I'll do it any day of the week if it means one less argument with the son. :)

tiredmommy

I just need to point out that it is more than 50F warmer where Gcvmom lives compared to me. She's hogging all the heat!!!

F

flutterbee

Got 6 inches of snow yesterday. High today hit 9. It's -9 right now, with windchills up to (or is it down to) -30 tonight. We had a 2 hour delay today which was stupid because it's too cold for salt to work and the roads were just ice. No school tomorrow though - teacher work day.

Jewel was outside long enough to go potty and could hardly make it back in the house. She stopped and picked up one foot, then put it down and picked up another and just kind of stood there looking pathetic.

Oh, and Devon can't find his hoodie. Closest thing he has to a coat. :rolleyes:

If I were 10, this would be great sledding weather.

Marguerite

OK, I've been having a hard time wrapping my brain around some of these temperatures. Seven degrees? That's not so bad, although it never gets quite that cold here, even in winter. It did get down to 12 last winter... hang on, that was 12 C here last winter as our coldest day in decades. You guys mean 7 F - that's minus 13 C, it NEVER gets that cold anywhere in Australia (except in my old boss's freezer).

It's going to be cold here tomorrow, they said it will be down to 21. The water temperature here is 22. That's C, around 70 F.

I would really appreciate a few snowballs down this way, it would be a relief from the heat.

Mind you, you can't beat Aussies for practical jokes. Thinking about ice reminded me of this amazing guy, a sort of prequel to Bill Gates, who had been saying for some time (in all seriousness) that we could solve a lot of our coastal city water shortages, by towing icebergs up from Antarctica; we'd lose some through melting on the way but the bigger ones would still give us plenty of freshwater, making the enterprise worthwhile.

Then he actually did it!

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/28/1048653853668.html

Marg

Marguerite

I forgot - I tihnk I have shared this before, though.

Many years ago, back in the 60s, my sister lived for a few years in Canada. Quebec, I think it was. She sent home some photos of a house on fire, that they couldn't put out because the water was freezing as it came out of the hoses. It froze in mid air, came down as ice. She said it was really bizarre. I was only a little kid, but she also sent photos of her walking behind a frozen waterfall. I think she said it was Niagara; is that possible?

Marg

SRL

Marg, right now in my town it's -22F/-30C and the effects due to the wind chill are -41C/-41F. It's the coldest it's been since I've lived here but I don't think it's record lows for the area.

tiredmommy

Niagara Falls doesn't freeze over, though ice flows and formations will form. There's just too much water moving to quickly.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
We were at 5°F this morning. I think it crept up to 7 a little while ago. I can't even imagine it more than -10°F below. That's insane at -30°!! How do you keep from freezing??

difficult child's car doesnt' start when it's this cold...she doesn't understand that her car is old and it's very cold. hahaha - on the up side, she gets to watch easy child's puppy because she's stuck at home.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yup, TM's right. All us Californians are hogging all the hot weather :D It's a bit after 9am my time and my patio thermometer already reads 70 F. And yes, it IS January here, too.

easy child wore a skirt and difficult child 2 wore shorts to school today. I guess this is our reward for putting up with earthquakes and wildfires... oh, and TOURISTS! :rofl:

SRL

Just to show you how out of whack our thinking gets: my oldest just checked the weather and said "It's -4. That's not too bad."

gcvmom

Here we go again!
TM, hey we love our tourists! They're the only thing that keeps this state afloat! :p

Tell Duckie that Mickey and Minnie are all set and waiting for her to get here!