Malika

Thanks, Janet. Yes, I am willing to give medications another try - so far they have proved nightmarish in their side effects but we haven't tried everything...

J is adorable. Often. He also has some very worrying behaviours - constantly stealing money from my purse, picking up cigarette butts and smoking them, ongoing fascination with lighters. More than that, he gets into moods when he just will not do what you ask and will become obstructive/impossible....for example today he did not want the young tutor who comes in the morning to leave the house (after previously having refused to work with her), so then stole the keys so we could not unlock the door, refused to give them back, then grabbed hold of her legs to stop her going, etc. By the time she finally left, she was frazzled and angry because one of her teaching cards had got damaged (actually not J who did that but a five year old friend of his...)

And so it goes. The behaviour is more what stops him learning for the moment, I think. He has also got worryingly used to doing his own thing because of having been so irresponsibly kicked out of school after just 10 days... I'm not sure about Montessori. We seem to find that J does not do well with freedom/autonomy, needs to be much more directed. UK schools, in theory, have many acccommodations in place for special needs kids. We have to go there, I think.

Thanks for your interest.