Nobody wants to put their child in a group home

Lucedaleblessed

The problem with getting her tried in Arizona is that Arizona is not as prepared to deal with emotional problems as they are in California. Read this article about a mother and her problems in Arizona. She moved from California to Arizona and she just wanted to get help. It seems that help in Arizona is the juvenile hall.

It is just as bad here in Lucedale. We had a lot good going, but we never overcame Katrina. It will take maybe 20 years before we will have the same treatment standards as before the Hurricane.

Marguerite

OK, cultural differences here. Let me see if I understand it -
You guys lives in California. difficult child was a naughty girl but it didn't all come to light before you moved. However, now you've gone to the hassle and expense of moving interstate, NOW the police say, "There is another crime committed from before you moved, and we think your difficult child did it. We are so sure (now) that we will arrest her as soon as she sets foot back in this state."

OK, that can happen here in Australia.

BUT - difficult child is refusing to take the slightest chance of going back to California. She's not stupid. And frankly, there isn't a lot you can do about this. I suspect that if you handcuffed the girl to the car and drove her back, some civil liberties group would object to this as deprivation of liberty, kidnapping (of your own child) or some such, and you would be in trouble. But from what people say, if you DON'T take her back to California, the law will be after YOU.

That seems patently unfair. Am I right? This could really be a problem?

If so, then surely you can make contact with the California DA and say, "I'm on your side. I want my daughter to be accountable. But I don't know how I can do this. Do you have any ideas, practically, on how we can get her back to your jurisdiction?"

Here in Australia, the legal people would request extradition and organise the felon to be arrested interstate and hand-delivered by law enforcement agencies. There shouldn't be a problem for law enforcement officers of State A to allow the officers of State B to cross the border to make an arrest and transport the suspect back; or alternatively, for officers of State A to make an arrest on behalf of officers of State B and hold the suspect for a period of time saying, "Come and get her." If the State B officers don't turn up in reasonable time, or make arrangements to collect "the package", the arrested person is released again.

Certainly, unless they actively hinder the prosecution, parents and other family & friends are not held responsible for the individual's failure to turn themselves in. Here in Australia, that is. That is just so wrong, in my opinion.

Surely if you contact the California DA and make it clear that you are willing to help, within your limitations, and make sure such communication is well recorded, then it limits how far they can legally blame you for difficult child's ability to avoid travelling to California?

Marg