Non-computer hardware problem

mstang67chic

Going Green
You all know Chester, right? And you know he's a runner. Well, he's figured out that if he makes it past the front door to the enclosed porch, all he has to do is jump up on the storm door and he's out. Granted, the little latch thingy was almost completely broken off and there wasn't much holding it shut. So today I went and bought a new handle. Took the old one off, put the new one on and checked it out. I didn't have to replace the little bar thingy (just full of proper technical terms aren't I?) because it was just the latch itself that was broken. It closed just fine, caught when I pushed on it. Then I went to go back in the house and the dog got on the porch, ran to the storm door, jumped up and......

GONE.

The little snot BROKE the new latch. He weighs all of 18 pounds and the darn latch was on for all of 3 minutes. I spent fifteen freaking dollars on this handle and it's worthless now because apparently they don't make anything out of actual METAL anymore. Short of pawning my kid, tracking down and buying a metal handle/latch, any ideas?

Yes, we caught him. difficult child managed to grab him in a couple of minutes because Chester was over at the girlfriend's house.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Two of my dogs know how to open the doors that have oe of those long handles on them, and on the other doors they just run into them till they pop open. I bought a little eye hook for like 39 cents each and I just hook that - my JR can jump so its pretty high up.

I can't open my bedroom windows - one story house so they face the front steet and the screen is at the bottom - I just had the Mobile Screen people come out and put pet screen in all the windows- I might have just as well taken the money out of my purse and throw it directly in the street. They proceeded to knock the screen out, run down the street and go into the grocery store -we found three of them running up and down the isles.

I have heard that nutering males makes them stay close to home -we had a friend whose dog was a runner till he was clipped and after that never went out of the yard. But having said that, one of my dogs is a neutered male and he is usually the first one out the door.

Marcie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Two words.

Baby gate. :D

Not the cheap ones. Get the metal ones with a door in the center that opens. They have mental bars, not a mesh type stuff dogs use as a spring board.

You sometimes can find them at walmart. But are easier to find at toys r us.

Lil buggar.

trinityroyal

Now. keeping in mind that I know next to nothing about dogs...

I`ve seen Jack Russels do backflips that take them 6 ft off the ground. Will a 3-foot high baby gate really keep one contained?

KTMom91

Jacks can climb baby gates. At least Buddy could. Even though we had two, stacked one on top of the other, because he could jump over one.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I've seen those. It's been awhile and I'd have to look again but I'm not so sure he wouldn't be able to squeeze through. Of course, like I said it's been awhile so I could remember the gap size wrong.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The one we have the gaps are awfully skinny. Our cat has issues going thru it. (actually he won't)

My friends Jack Russel can't get over it and he's quite a jumper. Usually dogs use the mesh on baby gates as leverage. There is no mesh for them to use. Oh, and they had newer ones out that are solid plastic. No mesh. No bars.

But a cheaper idea. eye hook locks on the bottom and top of the screen door. Cheap. And made of metal. Just thought of it. :D

mstang67chic

Going Green
But a cheaper idea. eye hook locks on the bottom and top of the screen door. Cheap. And made of metal. Just thought of it. :D

I'm thinking of those too but it could be an issue if one of us is out later, the others are asleep and someone needs to come in the house. I'm still thinking on it though.

susiestar

Roll With It
My folks put a screen door in the door between the kitchen and the utility room. It was mostly to keep thank you from chasing the cats. We left an open panel on the bottom so the cats could get through and the kids could not.

We used a wooden screen. And over the panels thank you really wanted to go through we put wood in place of the screen.