Non-Functional Nails

Coookie

Ok, this is a nonsense thread but here goes. :) Since I have been in retail and difficult child is no longer possessing every waking moment of my life, I have been trying many new things. One of which is acrylic nails. :) Not the kind you go and have done but the ones you can buy and "do it yourself". :) Maybe they aren't acrylic but plastic... :) Anyway....

I have been having so much fun with them and they only take about 1/2 hour to do BUT since I have been back on the board I am noticing how many typo's I am making :wildone: and not catching (course I could use spell check but.....).

So I am asking everyone before hand to please overlook any typo's that may appear in my threads..... it isn't that I can't type... it is that my nails are too long... :bigsmile: Guess I will just have to go for the shorter ones.

Seriously, I can't tell you how good it feels to pamper myself with totally unecessary frills. We all need to do that in our lives with a difficult child. :D

Hugs

meowbunny

Learn how to type on your nail tips. Then you don't have to cut them down. Once you get used to it, you'll find that your accuracy and speed improves because the nails are smaller than the finger pads.

Estherfromjerusalem

Coookie, you are too funny!

I often see kids with those nails, and older ladies too, and they make me laugh! And of course, the one next to the "pinkie" gets a special decoration!

I never even put so much as transparent nail varnish on my nails. I don't know why, but I just can't be bothered. I keep mine cut short, and as clean as possible! My father used to do "nail inspection" to us three girls every morning when we left for school, to make sure they were clean. He had a "thing" about clean hands and nails.

Anyway, Robbie, I hope you really enjoy this. It sounds like fun. And your typing looked fine to me.

Love, Esther

N

Nomad

:DThis is too funny! I just took mine off after at least a year of wearing them. I feel "free!" However, I also feel naked and everything feels funny to the touch. My nails are weak and I'm afraid to pry things open. I used my acrylic nails as "tools." My birthday is at the end of April and I may put them on just prior to it. However, it is wonderful to have the breathing space 'cause I was having them done at a salon and it was costly and time consuming. I don't trust myself to do it by myself. Now, I paint them every other week and have them done every other week...regular manicure. Will also go when I have a special occassion to get to. All of this is lots cheaper and faster. As you can tell...I've give this a lot of thought. Enjoy them!!! They do look fabulous! :D

Fran

Former desparate mom
Cook, I have had acrylic "pink and whites" for about 5 yrs. Ever since husband got me an engagement ring for our 20th anniversary. I can not function with them long. They are a respectable, normal length so that I can type, do laundry and generally not get in the way. There is no color but natura pink and whitel to them. I like the finished, polished look of them without adding a freak factor to my hands.
You are right it is a totally indulgent thing I started when 46yrs old and I love how manicured my hands now look.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I tried doing them a few years ago...never had problems with typing as they were short. BUT...I am CHEAP. After a few months, I gave it up. Then, the nasty side came up. Your nails are NOT nice after taking them off. YUCK.

Abbey

Coookie

It is nice to know that others are doing it too. :)

I only leave mine on when I work. I usually have 2 days off and the nails come off and I let my real nails breath for 2 days. Then I put new ones on when I go back to work. Like I said in my original thread they are the ones you can get at the store for $5.99 :) They are similar to what you wear Fran in color and style I think, no color just pink with white tips. I think the problem is that I tried the "French" style which are longer. :( Now they are non-functional.

They come with this gel glue that holds them really well (most of the time) and then they come off with Acrylic nail polish remover. I'm sure they are not as durable as the ones done at the salon but I would rather do them myself and they look nice.

Every once in awhile one does pop off though which can be a little embarassing if you are showing a customer a piece of jewelry. :redface::rolleyes: BUT we all need a little something to laugh at. :rofl:

They come off tonight.... going back to the short ones...

Hugs and thanks for tolerating me. :)

Fran

Former desparate mom
Cook, life is short. At this point, having some fun is important. We have been through enough tragedy. I don't think finding reasons to be pleased about something or laughing at ourselves is frivilous but medicine for the soul.
Enjoy them and keep doing fun stuff for yourself.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I love my nails. I've always loved them and after years of either being to cheap to pay for them or not having enough money to pamper myself a little, I started up again this past fall. With all the money I've spilled for my family over the years, I feel entitled to having something so seemingly insignificant yet something that makes me feel nice.

I had the acrylics and the things would not come off - they were so thick and I didn't like them. So, I bought this remover stuff that you twist your fingers in for like an hour and they came off nice and clean. Underneath were my very own nails, long albeit weak. So, I headed off to the nail salon and had silk wraps done. I love them because they are simply covering my own nails, so they are thinner and last longer and stronger. I keep mine short so I can still type, but just all being the same length and having them looking so pretty - well, it's just nice to do something for me for a change.

Good for you coookie - my dds and I use those ones you bought often and I think they are pretty snazzy.

Abbey

Spork Queen
What brand do you buy at the store that doesn't look ridiculously silly? I'd love to be able to just pop em' on for an interview. I tend to keep my hands (and feet) out of site.:sad-very:

Abbey

Coookie

Abbey,

They are called Deceptions by Broadway. I get the "Natural" ones and in the little window on the bottom left of the package it says "Oblivious". These are the short length, as opposed to the long ones that prevent me from typing like a sane person. :greedy:

I have been using them for over a year and continue to get compliments on my nails, even being asked if they are my own. :)

They are so easy to apply and come off relatively easy also and like I said I give my own nails a rest in between work.

Walgreens, WalMart and Target all carry them and if I remember correctly they are $5.99.

I figure anything to make me feel booootiful. :rofl:

Hugs

witzend

I started doing solar nails this last summer. I have beautiful nails of my own, that are hefty and strong, but being a perfectionist I can't stand it if they aren't all the same length and I was having a tough time getting them to grow. I get them filled about every three weeks. It adds up to about $30 a month plus tip.

I have to admit, they are much thicker and less flexible than my real nails, so there is lots I can't do with them. But, I have also gotten used to typing on my nails instead of my finger pads.

And yes, doing these little things for yourself is really lovely, isn't it?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I didn't have time to read thru all of the replies yet. (will later) But good for you for pampering yourself some.

As for the nails, they drive me crazy.

But at the neurologist where Travis used to go they had a receptionist with the longest set of nails I've ever seen! At least 3 inches. And she typed like crazy. I used to watch her in awed facination!

I keep my own nails short and trimmed. Functional. lol

Hugs

Abbey

Spork Queen
Abbey,

They are called Deceptions by Broadway. I get the "Natural" ones and in the little window on the bottom left of the package it says "Oblivious". These are the short length, as opposed to the long ones that prevent me from typing like a sane person. :greedy:

I have been using them for over a year and continue to get compliments on my nails, even being asked if they are my own. :)

They are so easy to apply and come off relatively easy also and like I said I give my own nails a rest in between work.

Walgreens, WalMart and Target all carry them and if I remember correctly they are $5.99.

I figure anything to make me feel booootiful. :rofl:

Hugs
I'm off to the store!! Got another job interview today...maybe I won't hide my hands. ;)

LittleDudesMom

I have the same acylics as Fran, the pink and whites. I keep them at a reasonable "natural" length because I don't like really long nails nor does it interfere with typing. It does make your hands look prettier and with the pink and while, I can go pretty close to three weeks before I get a fill in.

Sharon

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I tried to have pretty nails.

Last time I had them, we went horseback riding and my saddle wasn't tight at all cause I couldn't get a good grip on the cinch with my claws.

I cut them off on the trail, before I put my saddle back in the upright position...

Good luck with yours tho!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I was blessed with strong long nails. And of course I don't appreciate them. I did however just get this dead sea stuff that is supposed to take care of them and make the look good.

Glad you are doing something for yourself.

Beth