Non-stop

Wiped Out

Staff member
talking! We went to Chicago today to meet up with some of husband's friends from high school that were passing through. It's about a three hour drive from here.

He has been so obnoxious lately, rude and demanding-nothing new just more constant. It's like he is trying to bully us into getting his way and it's driving me crazy!

On the way home today-all three hours he talked and talked and talked and talked-well, you get the idea. Honestly, I don't think he took more than about 4 two minute breaks the entire time. It's been awhile since he has done the non stop talking thing and I forgot how tiring it is. Usually when he is in a car these days he falls asleep.

Today he was on this kick of remember when? If we didn't remember something he would repeat himself several times until you agreed that you remembered it just to get him to move on to another topic. He was also making up lots of things today-I think they are real to him the way he said it though.

He also repeated himself several times it seemed just to keep talking.

Anytime you disagreed with him he would get extremely verbally abusive and even threatened violence.

At least he is sleeping now. husband and I just ordered a pizza and plan on watching a movie to wind down.

Thanks for listening to my vent!

klmno

I'm sorry, Sharon! Geez- what a ride!! I don't know if it is the combination of the age and BiPolar (BP) or what, but my difficult child was about 11 when I thought his talking would drive me nuts.

I can't imagine being in a car for 3 hours like that. I'm glad you are home now and can take it easy. I hope tomorrow is better- maybe he'll be tired all day :)!

Steely

OMG...........the manic, frenetic talking. It makes me want to put an arrow through my skull:tongue:
Are his medications stable?
I know summer can be the worst for my difficult child. It just really activates that mania.

Andy

I am sorry your long ride was made to seem endless. He must have been tired. My kids always became more verbal and louder as they became more and more tired.

I know you were considering not even going - was the ride home still worth it? How was his behavior during the visit? Maybe he worked so hard at being good that the ride home was a way of releasing?

If your difficult child has a habit of this, would it work to have a snack to hand to him - something healthy but takes some chewing? I know that many kids can talk through food but sometimes it does help.

We often take a portable DVD player on our 3 - 4 hour drives. That seems to help also.

Enjoy your pizza - you earned it! :)

meowbunny

Duct tape works wonders in situations like this. Get cotton balls, place in ears, tape on top. Bet you thought for his mouth, didn't you? Tempting thought, though.

I know that if my daughter is hungry or tired, the talking never stops. I've learned to always have a snack or two in the car for just that situation. If nothing else, the food stopped the chatter for at least a few minutes. She was that way at age 3. She's that way at age 21.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Steely-Yep-arrow through my head is how I felt! We just increased medications on Wed. so I'm hoping that will help!

Adrianne-I'm not sure the ride was worth it but it was good to see the friends. difficult child did about as good of a job as he can do at the restaurant. We usually take the dvd player too but forgot yesterday-with the mood he was in I'm not sure he would have watched.

SW-He did sound manic last night-appears to be a bit better this morning. We just upped Lamictal on Wednesday so hopefully that will start to kick in.

Terry-Trapped is exactly how I felt!

MB-Rofl-I did think it was for his mouth and it is a tempting thought-lol. He talks right through the food-but it does slow him down some!

smallworld

Sharon, I've read that Lamictal can be activating with each increase and then it settles down as the body adjusts to the new dose. I'm wondering if that's what you were seeing yesterday. Hope things calm down soon.

susiestar

Roll With It
Sharon,

I know the misery! been there done that but never with distorted memories. We had scientific facts about whatever, and correcting him got the results you got for disagreeing. Hoovers, doesn't it?

I hope the medications help. I know that nothing we did helped.

Is there something in the air? the stars in the wrong position?

Cause thank you has been doing non-stop talking about some video games. Was esp. bothersome after the movie on Fri when we ran errands. 3 errands, under 10 min each, and a stop for protein in between. Usually a hi-protein meal helps thank you be able to control this stuff, but not this week. He is STILL doing it.

I hope you were able to enjoy your friends, and you can get some relief via the medication increase. If thank you keeps it up we will have to get a doctor appointment.

I was thinking it would be a good idea to write down his distorted/changed/made up "memories" and your recollection of what really happened. Then maybe talk to psychiatrist about them. You may see a pattern in how or what he changes or invents, and it might help you figure out what is going on. Or the therapist might want to talk to difficult child about it with the info as a reference.

Hugs,

Oh, Meowbunny, I thought the duct tape was for HIM. For ME - NO WAY, I have too much hair!!!! Interesting concept though. Maybe sharon shoudl keep some inexpensive ear plugs in her purse and the glove box?? Me too, huh?

M

ML

I bet it was the medication increase. I'm sorry you had that experience, it sounds awful. Glad you came through it and it's a brand new day :)

Christy

been there done that! My sympathy, that can drive you crazy. Movies and food help sometimes on the drive. It can be so exhausting, I hope the chatter winds down soon.

Christy

klmno

Now that the lamictol increase is mentioned- difficult child couldn't take that one because it made him more symptommatic. I read or heard somewhere that it might have something to do with whether or not the person is on the "upper" end when they start taking it or have an increase in it. Anyway, just something to keep in mind if this continues to be a problem.