Non-verbal learning disabilities in adults (and how they were as children)

BusynMember

Just because some parents are looking for insight, the "why" of it all, I thought I'd print this for information. This disorder is newly recognized, but it can be debilitating. It is the only diagnosis I received the you CAN test for and comes back "yes" over and over again and it has caused me many problems in the way I think, learn, behave, communicate and it has made working very difficult for me. It is not uncommon.

Typical I.Q. test score:
Verbal-102
Performance-99
(The two scores are close. This is the norm).

Non-Verbal Learning Disability Severe:
Verbal-122 (superior range so the person can talk well and sounds very intelligent)
Performance leve-85 (so the person, once hired due to awesome interview, can not do the work as well as expected, leading superiors to be puzzled, often employees fireed, and the adults feeling like it isn't even worth it to try. Been there/done that.

Here is an article on this, which I feel explains it really well. It really won't help any of the young men and women who have it. They have to get help and they will still have it, although they can improve. But it IS probably an explanation for many our kids who seem bright, but are lacking in motivation, give up, and maybe even decide that drugs help them socialize.

http://www.nldontheweb.org/nldadvancedreading/nldclinicaldescription.html

in a daze

My son has NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD), and it affects his ability to function on the job, to have a social life, and even to organize his free time. He gets overwhelmed very easily by the demands of just living his everyday life.

BusynMember

He has my heartfelt sympathy, inadaze. It's not an easy life, but it can get better. There are good coping skills for those of us with this problem.