NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD)

I was just reading posts during lunch and ran across one referencing NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD). A comment was made about the school not knowing about NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) and I thought to myself hello where have I been I've never heard or had it mentioned to me either. Not that I'm looking for another diagnosis, but sometimes you just run across things by chance and it's like where has the acronym NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) been the past 6 years. Does anyone know if this is something commonly diagnosed?

As soon as you think your making head way towards a better diagnosis you stumble on to something else that seems even more likely and probable. Well I guess this is just part of the path people take with difficult child's, schools, and Psyc docs. I know that so many of these diagnosis overlap and sometimes I feel like they are overlooked as a serious diagnosis and just perceived as another name for a group of symptoms that are all part an underlying diagnosis (ex. ADH) Maybe it's for the purpose of prescribing RX's whether ADHD, Bi Polar, or ODD they are going to be treated with the same drugs. But for me personally I'm still looking for an answer and explanation on why and what causes his problems.

Anyway I guess I have a new topic to search tonight on Internet.

InsaneCdn

Well... favorite therapist told us that... many of these "developmental" disorders DO overlap... the big, formal dxes like Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), are just "a line in the sand"... some point at which they put diagnostic cut-offs. BUT... there is a whole spectrum of these issues, and yes, they are commonly found in Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids, but are in NO way exclusive... So, yes, a kid can be definitely NOT Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) or Aspie... and have a whole list of other dxes... (and yes, NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) is one of them... so is Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), for another)

TerryJ2

Agreed. Happy hunting! You never know when an addt' diagnosis will lead to your difficult child getting svcs and help. And I love to learn, so that's not a problem, even if I do bark up the wrong tree on occasion.