Norway bombing, so sad ...

TerryJ2

The bombing itself is horrific, but to open fire (supposedly with-a machine gun) on a bunch of kids at camp on an island, point blank, is so horrific, it's beyond words. No one will ever be the same. My heart goes out to them.
I'm wondering if this is the equivalent to our Oklahoma City bombing.

tiredmommy

Authorities have a suspect in custody and are saying the bombing and shooting are related and appears to be politically motivated. At least 80 teens were shot down in cold blood. :crying:

H

HaoZi

They do have him, he is talking and spouting a lot of fundamentalist stuff and anti some political party talk.

TerryJ2

A few more details from the kids today but not much more from the killer, except that he is a right wing fundamentalist fantatic. I suppose the authorities will take his computer and look at the history now.

Steely

Death toll is up to 92 - I get the chills just thinking about this. It is SO horrible and malicious. On the news they showed the kids jumping into the water to get away - tragic. I told my friend last night, it is one horror for a suicide bomber to kill the 10 adults in town, but it goes to a whole new level when you kill children in cold blood.
Gosh - my heart goes out to those families.

TerryJ2

I know, me too. I cannot imagine the trauma of being in the situation and then surviving, having heard your friends pleas b4 they were killed.
And what's with-the killer--he hates violent Islamists so he's going to do the same thing? But take it out the govn't, with-it's too-liberal immigration policy, so kill the kids? It doesn't achieve anything except get you locked up. (Or in the U.S., the death penalty.) Just plain crazy.

DDD

I grew up during the times of prejudice but I just can not grasp how politics, religion and violence have become the norm in the USA and around the world. Whatever happened to society it happened during my lifetime but somehow I didn't see it coming and I just don't get it. Of course, my caring thoughts and prayers are with the victims but how I wish we could flip back twenty years and not have all this evil around the world. DDD

TerryJ2

Hmmm ... DDD, I think we're still the same humans, just that we have bigger weapons. And means to make them from household products, via info on the Internet.
I cannot think of a time in history when we weren't violent. Still, I think you mean that it seems like more often, we see something like this in the news and think oh, no, not again, like we're always waiting for the other shoe to drop.
One thing that is different, is that bombers, terrorists, etc. can now get immediate media attention, which was not the case, say, back in the 1500s.

BusynMember

This was just awful and my heartfelt prayers are with the survivors.

Violence always unsettles me. I have still not forgotten 911. It seems there is so much more violence these days, but I think the potential for violence always existed. I agree that we just have better weapons now.

Peace on Earth...what a pipedream :/

Steely

Really, this is so grievous. The death toll is up to 93. Yet I feel like the American Press has not covered it as extensively as they should. You are more likely to still here about the Casey Anthony case, or Amy Winehouse's death, than this - and that I cannot understand. Especially since Norway is a huge ally.

TerryJ2

I know. I'm thinking, hmm, Amy Winehouse, I guess I should know that name, and what is it all over the place? But the Norway bombing, oh yeah, that should be headlines--for days and weeks. I hate it when it's a big story one day and then it just disappears the next.
I have been reading more editorials about it, though, which is helpful. People are taking time to find out details and digest the info now.