Not Bipolar, All medications Removed

Janna

Been AWOL, busting tail working on Dylan's Residential Treatment Facility (RTF).

After 14 weeks, the Bipolar diagnosis is gone.

Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified, ADHD Combined Type; Inattentive/Hyperactive. Lithium, gone. Wellbutrin, gone. Synthroid going as soon as the thyroid fixes itself thanks to the Lithium and DDAVP has stopped the enuresis. That will probably die too, once the Lithium is gone.

They will figure out medications after watching him 2 weeks without medications. Hyperactive. Impulsive. Moody, yes. Enough to call it Bipolar? Nope. No depression. No mania. Just hyperactivity. Very, very, very high levels of it.

Figured some might find that interesting. Still not defiant. Best kid out of 12 in the residence. Not oppositional. Listens. Does what he's told. Getting tons of therapy; equine/horticulture/art/dance/music and pet. Learning daily. Best thing I ever did.

Hope everyone's well.

J

BusynMember

Join the growing number of parents who found out that their bipolar kids are really on the autism spectrum. That's why I tell everyone to see a neuropsychologist as well as a Psychiatrist. I hope Dylan gets all the best interventions to help him live a successful, happy life and thank goodness you understand him now!!!

Janna

Do you remember, MWM, when I took Dylan to the neuropsychologist? He spent 4 hours with him and said "I dunno what to tell you about the Bipolar" and I thought he was nuts LOL! LOL!

Ehh, whatcha gonna do. Thought you'd like the info. I'll email ya tomorrow when I'm more awake with more stuff. I may need some good advice, and you're the best one to ask.

xoxoxoxox

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janna

I'm so glad Dylan's getting a more accurate diagnosis, and off most of the medications. I wonder if maybe with the therapy and all, and once he's off all the previous medications what he'll actually require now that the problems have been pin pointed.

Do you remember, MWM, when I took Dylan to the neuropsychologist? He spent 4 hours with him and said "I dunno what to tell you about the Bipolar" and I thought he was nuts LOL! LOL!

Happens to the best of us. Believe it or not, I recall doing it with Travis and the seizures. At least til we got his EEG back. lol

I hope he continues to do well.

Hugs

SRL

Janna,I'm glad to hear he's doing well.

When my difficult child was unstable he looked very BiPolar (BP), but otherwise as long as he had a high level of support and needed therapies that he was responding to, those symptoms are far more minimal and within the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) umbrella. I've often thought if I'd started the assessment process then and seen a psychiatrist instead of developmental pediatrician he'd likely have landed a BiPolar (BP) diagnosis.

I do mean high levels of support though--setting up the home environment so it works for him instead of how we'd like it to be or how it would be most convenient for us has been critical. ie We have converted my sewing/computer area into a therapeutic gym in the basement with a swing, foam cushions, etc which he uses a lot. Everything that happens around here--schedule, our actions, attitudes, balancing routine vs. flexibility, contribute greatly to how he's doing. Now that he's been stable for a number of years I can see that he's a very enrivonment dependent kiddo and likely will continue to be into adulthood.

hlrc102

Janna,
I have been awol also--but popped by this morning (difficult child was not having a good morning alread by 5:45) and it made me pop back in! It is so nice to hear that Dylan is doing so well....last time i read, the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) wasn't providing him with his night time undergarments!
Congrats on having such success and may it continue! Take care!
Heather

BusynMember

Janna, I think MANY "bipolar" kids are actually spectrum kids. The psychiatrist thought Lucas was "hearing voices" because when asked if he heard voices, my very literal son said, "yes." The doctor got very interested and asked whose voice he hears. He said, "Lots of voices." He asked, "Do they tell you what to do?" He said, "Sometimes." When I asked Lucas about this years later he said, "I always hear voices. I'm hearing my voice now and I just heard YOUR voice." Grrrrrrrrrrrr. He also talks to his videogames in his room...lol. I was told Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids often talk out loud because they understand better if they verbalize. But he certainly knows not to do that in public. There is no way my boy is mentally ill in any way. He DOES get angry and frustrated at times, but that's Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). He has gotten tons better with all his help. I don't know why the psychiatrist hung onto the bipolar diagnosis. even when I reported he wasn't moody, unless he had a change in his routine. And with his early speech problems, head banging, echoing, etc...I don't get it. I think doctors are too specialized. MANY psychiatrists plain don't know squat about High-Functioning Autism (HFA) because it's not a psychiataric disorder. When i confronted old psychiatrist on this, he said, "He CAN'T be autistic. If he WAS, he couldn't go from one room to the next room without screaming." WTH?????? Oh, well. Hey, write me. If you want to talk about it, call me. It's very irritating to have these doctors hand out wrong diagnosis. and then stick to their guns.

ck1

Janna: This is a great post!!! Sounds like you're happier with the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF)? A lot of work, but sounds like you're heading in the right direction. I'll be anxious to hear how he does off the medicine. Mine is also weaning off of Zoloft and will only be taking seroquil at night.

My son is older than yours, but has a similar description (best kid in ones there) at his Residential Treatment Facility (RTF). What that told me, so I in turn told my son, is that this shows me that you can and will follow the rules when you think it's worth it. Guess what??? It will be worth it when you come home as well! I know it will be harder with the temptations around, but we'll work together. I will not tolerate disrespect or defiance. We'll see how well he's listening after his first home visit in a few weeks.

Again, happy your son is doing well...he's lucky to have you!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Janna,

It's good to see you again - and with good news to boot.

I'm glad that your difficult child is getting the help he needs & everything is on the right track. :its_all_good:

jannie

trying to survive....
Wow--you've certainly been busy--Glad to hear things are going so well !! :thumb: How long has Dylan been off the Lithium? Are you still working with your old p-doctor or just the new one with the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF)--

How's Dylan doing in school? Is he still in the self-contained class?

I see from your signature that Jared's off all medications as well !!

TerryJ2

Wow. Very cool. I am so glad they were able to get him off the medications and really study him. Way To Go.
Cheers!

Janna,

It is so wonderful to hear your good news and that difficult child is moving to a different and better track. Congrats on your good work for him!

Janna

Thank you, everyone.

So nice to see you, also, Linda. I have missed you.

Jannie, he is being weaned off the Lithium now. He's down to 600 mg a day from 1050. At 1050 mg he was around a .9 - 1.1 level, which seemed to be doing something. If anything, it was helping keep him level. What I mean is, the tantrums did go away, and I do think it helped alot with his mood issues, but it did nothing for the "mania", which turns out to be extreme hyperactivity. The last time he was on 600 mg a day, his level was .48, which isn't even hospital theraputic, never mind for a BiPolar (BP)'er. It's just weaning him off, but it's not doing anything.

Yep, Emotional Support, same deal as before. They, voluntarily, are giving him MORE homework than the school was when he was there last year LOL! Nice. He's working below capability. He said the work is way too easy, and it is. He can do 7th grade spelling words, and is doing 4th grade. He's in 5th LOL! Whatever. I'm not even worrying about school right now. I'll worry about that over winter when his discharge comes closer. He's not gonna be a Deans List student any time soon, so whatever. As long as he can stay grade level, I'm happy. I don't need a genius on my hands.

I took Jared off the Concerta, not intentionally. The psychiatrist office is being more and more complicated as time goes by. His hours are cut down more and more, and I couldn't get in there for a visit. So, Jared is off it, but not by my choice. He needs it. He's been struggling the last several weeks. There is no denial of his diagnosis, and he has to get those pills LOL! It's a matter of me being able to get in there, and the doctor actually having an appointment open. So, next week he sees psychiatrist, and next week he'll go right back on LOL! I did an unintentional experiement, and tell ya what, he wasn't wrong with this kid LOL! LOL!

Thanks everyone. It's nice to see you. I don't have a whole lotta time lately, but when I do, I do read.

J

smallworld

Janna,

I'm glad the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) turned out to be a good program and that Dylan is doing so well there. I hope it continues.

Marguerite

Janna, I'm so glad to see you back on board, I've missed you and been worried about you.

I just had a detailed post but the routine maintenance on the board dumped it, so I'm starting again.

How does Dylan feel about the changed diagnosis? Have you had a chance to sit with him and explain it?

And what about Brandon - is there any chance that a lot of his issues could be Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) in some way? There is often traits found in siblings. Not only do we see it in our family, but the groups we mix with - families with a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) kid - we see it there, too.

Something we've learnt to adapt to, is the level playing field in these kids' minds. Everybody is equal - teachers, parents, other kids - and if you boss around a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) kid, they will boss others in return. You can't assert authority over them very easily, until they have learnt that in reality, people are NOT equal.

Seeing a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) kid really struggling and hurting is heartbreaking. But when a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) kid 'gets it', the rewards are amazing. So is the progress.

Marg