Not looking forward to this winter!

Mom2oddson

I live in the northwest because we have mild winters and mild summer - not too hot, not too cold, just right!

Not this year. The weather people keep saying that this La Nina is the worst in 50+ years. Then yesterday we tied the hottest November 3rd on record. It was 74 degrees yesterday. Well, the first record was set on November 1949. January of 1950 (6 weeks later) we had record snow fall with the day highs of 0 and 1!!! Yikes! :frozen:

I don't like cold! I was born in South Carolina and moved from there to Guam! I was in grade school the first time I ever had to deal with cold weather. I don't like it! I'm a cold weather wimp! Hurry up Summer!!!

Anybody else hearing what their winter will be like?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Yup. They're saying we're in for a hard winter, also. Of course, our last 3 winters have been harder than anything we'd had in the previous 20 years, so...at least we're semi-prepared for it now...that first hard winter was, well, hard. We'd been spoiled by the previous 20 easy winters, that had a week of really cold, snowy weather, and the rest was mild. We've had lasting cold and snow the past 3 years. They're saying we'll have it again this year.

Being in the northwest, I assumed your winters would be pretty cold, too. Wow...I learned something.

Mom2oddson

We have RAIN, RAIN and more RAIN! The sun usually goes behind the clouds the 1st of October and doesn't come out until April (if we are lucky). Oh, the sun peaks through every so often just to remind us that he is there. But we don't have a lot of cold. And the fact that we've had several weeks of beautiful sunshine makes me nervous. This isn't normal.

Our winters have an average highs of mid/upper 40s and lows of mid/upper 30's. Occasionally, we get maybe 2-3 days during winter that it's really cold or it snows. So, on those days, everyone stays home. Schools around here close if there is an inch or two of snow. Because the snow almost always turns to ice, most of the roads get closed because the hills are too steep to get up or down. There are 3 different ways to get to my folks home, two of them close when it gets icy and all three are within 2 miles of their driveway.

But, there is a plus side to all of this. Because of all the talk about the bad winter, husband didn't like the idea of me being alone for it. So, since two of the Naval bases around here joined, he was able to transfer from one to the other and will NO LONGER TRAVEL!!!! No going to Japan or New York or anywhere ever again! (unless it's for a personal vacation).

H

HaoZi

I moved to Indiana from the gulf coast, my first snow was at 14, and it didn't stick. Next time was late teens visiting a grandma in Minnesota. Moving here and dealing with snow is culture shock for me. Snow is pretty from the warm side of the window, but when I know I have to drive in it, the panic attack sets in.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
They're calling for a cold, wet winter up here in N. WI, but so far we haven't seen it. Few snow flurries that melt off instantly. Usually by now we'd have had our first snowfall with accumulation.

DammitJanet

I hate cold wet weather. My theory is if it is going to be cold, wet and miserable then we should at least have snow. Just dreary, damp, bone chilling weather is the pits. It ends up we get a month or so...maybe 6 weeks of this miserable stuff and then it warms up slightly to just 40s. Still isnt warm enough to do anything. If I cant have 70 during the day and 50 during the night, then I want actual seasons! We go from directly having the AC on to turning on the heat and we can go back and forth on that in the same week! Week can be 80 or even 90 at the beginning of the week and 40 by the next weekend...and then 80 again on Monday! For a good month or so in the fall and spring.

Mattsmom277

It's chilly and drearily overcast today, winds are howling and light blowing snow. But the ugly small snow that are nearly pellets. Yuckers!!! I figure if its cold and dark and windy, at least a thick blanket of fluffy white everywhere cheers things up. I wish I was with my cousin, she was smart and has retired to Costa Rica.