Not money saving, but...

witzend

So, you've seen those commercials on tv about "sell your jewelry by mail now for cash!" That's not something I'm comfortable doing. I did a lot of research on the internet and found what the selling price of gold is, and what the value of 10k, 14k, and 18k gold is to pure (24k) gold. I took my old stuff to a pawn shop, and they offered me about $300, and the weight value was close to $1,200. This included a very nice and very heavy necklace that I didn't want to get rid of. So, I sat at home with it for another week.

This morning, I saw a different commercial. "Buy gold. It's a great investment." I keep seeing lots of scrap gold for sale on the shopgoodwill.com site, and I couldn't figure out how to get mine sold. So, I went to e-bay and looked for scrap gold. Now, some of the things I have are rings with missing stones, some are very nice earrings that I just don't wear, some chains that are too long, etc. I got an idea of what price stuff was selling for. I used my kitchen scale and got an accurate weight, which I photographed, and also a photo of the jewelry on some black velvet so it could be seen. I listed it on E-Bay for a minimum bid of .99, sell it now for $400, and a reserve price (no one sees that until it's sold but it must make at least that price) of $375. That was one hour ago. I just got an e-mail that it was sold for $400, and the cash is in my checking account! Woo hoo! Best of all, I got to keep the heavy gold chain that I didn't want to sell.

I'll be checking to be sure that the money is there before I mail anything, but off it goes tomorrow! I think I may be on to something here...

Last edited:

Stella Johnson

I've seen those mail us your gold things too. No way would I trust them especially not even knowing what they would pay you for it.
I have a bunch of old jewelry I don't like anymore. Have been thinking about finding a way to sell it. Guess I'll try Ebay. I haven't done ebay in years. Don't even know if my account is still active.

Thanks for the tip!

Steph

everywoman

In my town the big thing now is gold parties. You put all your unwanteds in a ziplock, go to a friend's house, people are there, remove all stones, and weigh. I made a good chunk of change just before Christmas on broken chains, high school ring, and old earrings. The hostess of the party gets a percentage of the overall weight.