Not my daughter!

tiredmommy

Duckie has had 3 play dates in four days. She attended Girl Scout day camp last week, attended a birthday party, started cheer practice, attended a festival, and had gymnastics as well as a swim lesson.

She hasn't been pleasant toward me or husband all the time, but her unpleasantness is pretty typical of a slightly overtired child, in my humble opinion. She has had absolutely zero problems dealing with her friends and other children and has been respectful and appropriate to the adults.

I have to admit that I had been concerned that she was adding to the bullying problems she has had with A because she's a difficult child. But they've had a lot space this summer and Duckie's behavior and attitude continues to improve. I think the stress of dealing with A (and A's behaviors) have really affected Duckie in the past. I like my daughter without A's influence. :)

Marguerite

The busier Duckie is, the less room there is for her to be involved with A. And the more Duckie will be learning social skills to help her deal more appropriately with A when she DOES spend time with her.

The downside is, you get to deal with an overtired difficult child.

If you can handle that, I think it's a win-win situation.

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
TM,
How great for Duckie!!!! I love reading that she is doing so well with all of her friends and at home too:)

tiredmommy

Thanks ladies. Who would have thought there could be an upside to being bullied (not to encourage or condone it!) by A? Duckie has always been caring and sensitive to those she perceives as weaker or younger than herself... she goes out of her way to help others that she sees struggling emotionally or physically. I think this is because of her own struggles as a difficult child... she really feels empathy in these situations. But she's always been a little less tolerant toward easy child's; I'm not sure why... perhaps she's a little jealous. She definitely expects more out of them, lol! Anyway, the humiliation she's felt because of A has gone a long way in making her see just how fragile others' feelings can be and she's treating people gentler.

M

ML

Sounds like it's been a great summer. Our Duckie is growing into a lovely young girl.

Lothlorien

I notice certain friends of Missy's bring out the extra gfgness in her. I try to keep her away from those "friends" as much as possible and encourage her to play with other friends. I'm glad it's working out better for Duckie that she doesn't have to deal with her friend's drama.

tiredmommy

Thanks Christy and Loth. She had a very rough day yesterday... her asthma was acting up with the heat and humidity we've had recently. She cried before dinner because she was having trouble logging into buildabearville.com. She was screech-y, distracted & difficult. She was also sat out briefly at cheer practice because she and another girl were talking. Then a friend gave her a scathing review of her cheer skills. She didn't have a meltdown, though she did pout a little at practice.

She did much better today, especially at practice. It's weird how she improves so quickly... almost like a switch has been thrown.

TerryJ2

Wow, she has really improved!

So sorry about her crummy day the other day. been there done that. It can happen to anyone.
She sounds very resilient. Way To Go. :)