Not quite PTSD

Wiped Out

Staff member
but something is bothering me. On February 13th it will be a year from when difficult child violently attacked me in the car. I don't usually remember dates of when things happen but this is one I do.

I'm not sure I posted exactly what happened at that time just that it was bad and it led to him eventually being hospitalized.

He repeatedly punched me in hard in the head while I was stopped at a stop sign. I didn't get any bruises or anything but it scared me very much and apparently has had more of an effect than I thought if I'm dreading the upcoming date. It's not like I'm worried it will happen again on that date but it seems to be on my mind a lot right now.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm not a person who usually remembers dates (except 9/11) but I'm not able to shake this completely.

klmno

Yes, I have- and I do think we get PTSD from things like this, even if it's our own difficult child. Plus, we have the additional concerns of still trying to be a good parent for them. ((HUGS))

susiestar

Roll With It
Totally understand it. It IS a form of PTSD. Or so several tdocs and my psychiatrist told me. I think working iwth a therapist and maybe a psychiatrist would be a good idea? At least give yourself permission to feel whatever you do with-o any guilt over it. If you have a bad//scared/strange feeling and want to cancel an outing, just say Mom isn't up to it. It is OK.

It truly is.

Anyway, I hope you can work through this and feel better soon.

Steely

OMG, yes. As I have referenced in many posts.:(

It is natural to have the occurrence replay itself in our psyche, whether we want it to or not. As I posted Sunday, H's death, has sent my over the edge with PTSD symptoms, even though I know nothing else can happen.

I am so sorry you are going through this. Many hugs. Try to just keep yourself grounded and relaxed.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon, sweetie, many many times with the tweedles. There are just some thing/situations that pop in my head before a visit to wm that makes me pull over to the side of the road & do deep breathing.

kt, just the other day, had me terrified that she wouldn't come out of her state & that we were heading to a 7 hour meltdown with accompanying hospitalization.

I just try to remember my self calming exercises; there are times though your really need your own therapist to talk to.....to vent with an objective person listening.

As the date approaches ask husband out to dinner. If that doesn't work, put the kids to bed early & have your own dinner with husband. Just adult couple time. It may be good for your soul. It certainly can't hurt.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yes Sharon, me too. The date that difficult child left with a stranger and was sexually assaulted (May 21st 2005). The early weeks of August for several reasons. August is my favorite month of the year, yet now it's conjures up quite a mix of feelings for me. I have to do some meditation and practice deep breathing when I feel the anxiety coming on. Sometimes it helps.

I agree with Linda that you should make plans for that day with H or a friend to change the focus of that day. Another idea is to journal what has changed in the past year, for the better.

Hugs.

TerryJ2

Sharon, I think that's pretty normal.
I think I've gotten over something, and then something triggers it and I overreact. :(
Sometimes, it's when druggies come up to my car begging for cash, and make up a story about having 6 kids under the age of 4 and a wife with-breast cancer. Having had breast cancer, I do not take that lightly. I light off. Boy, do I embarrass my kids!

Just get through the day ... maybe go out to lunch with-someone? Go to the bookstore ...take a walk ... be nice to yourself.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ya know.......

1 - it was the day before the holiday that celebrates love and caring.
2 - it was a VERY traumatic event.

Seek therapy that specializes in severe PTSD cause sista you gots it.

Also - EMDR therapy is WONDERFUL if you're open to it and can find a very good qualified therapist

Hugs

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone. I can see I'm not alone.

I do wish I could get through the day tomorrow without seeing much of difficult child. At least he has no recollection of the significance of the day. I'm working tomorrow so shouldn't see too much of him til after school and then I'll try to hang out where he isn't.

I like the idea of having our own dinner after the kids (or at least difficult child) is in bed tomorrow night. Maybe we'll even sneak out for a movie finally. Journaling also sounds like a good idea because a lot has changed for the better in the past year.

I am seeing a great therapist, she has been very helpful.

Thanks for all of your support-it means a lot!