NOT ready for this! easy child growing up too fast..

gcvmom

Here we go again!
and started her first period this morning! I don't know who was more surprised, her or me. I was really, really hoping it wouldn't come for at least another year... she just turned 11 in May. :(

She's dealing with it pretty well, but it's still clearly awkward for her. To add to her stress about it, my in-laws walked in the house while she and I were in the bathroom discussing supplies! She said to me "what great timing!" :rofl:

Now I'm wondering how much time is left before her growth rate tops out. My understanding is that once menses start the growth plates begin to harden. Anyone know much about this? I seem to remember having about a year or two before I stopped growing after I started getting my periods... but I was nearly 13 when mine started.

Last edited:

Wiped Out

Staff member
My easy child/difficult child started at age 11 as well. She hasn't grown since. Up to that point she was always one of the tallest girls. She stopped at 5 foot 3 3/4 inches.

on the other hand, I stopped growing about 3 years before I started mine.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I think doctors say those things but really everyone is different and grows at their own pace, with quite a few growth spurts throughout adolescence and into adulthood.

difficult child stopped growing after she got her first period at 13. But easy child had another growth spurt this past year and she got her first period 8 years ago!!

I have read that girls are starting their periods earlier and earlier due to growth hormones in the meat and dairy they consume. Don't know how true that is but, ironically, difficult child doesn't really eat meat or drink milk and easy child has always loved meats and milk-our own little science experiment right here!

Congrats to your daughter! Did you buy her some chocolate?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I started at eleven (and finished at 49). I was very short until I shot up 7" that same year. That left me at my current 5'7" or so, and also left me the tallest female in my family by several inches. I quite growing immediately after that growth spurt.

M

ML

one of manster's friends had her period right after she turned 11 and she just turned 13. Still growing!

susiestar

Roll With It
I have heard a lot of people say that females don't grow much after their first period. It seems like hogwash to me. I am sure that there is something scientific behind it, but I know far too many people who continued to grow for years after they had their first period. I would be 4'9" if I had stopped growing. 2 yrs after my period I grew another inch in about a month's time. Then 5 years later I grew 2 more inches. The moms of the girls Jess is friends with were all quite upset because most of the girls started between 9 and 11. Every single one of the girls has grown at least 4 inches since then, and one girl has grown 8 or 9 inches.

Congrats! Your little girl is growing up!! I hope she will be as wonderful a lady as her mom is.

TerryJ2

Goodness, no! My easy child started at 12 when she was about5'4". She's 5'7" and still growing.
on the other hand, I started at 5'4" and am still there ...
Everyone is different.

crazymama30

My easy child just started a few months ago at 13. I have never heard anything about the growing thing, cannot speak to that.