Not-so-nice review of "The Help" by Leonard Pitts

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I read the book before it was on the best sellers list and was wowed by it, very good writing and, for such a short book, I thought the characters were very well developed. When I heard it was coming out as a movie, I was nervous because so often movies leave out integral parts of the story. I'll go see it, of course, lol.

Growing up on LI, I wasn't exposed to a lot of direct segregation (though it was obviously there, our town was predominantly white at that time), racial tension, or people with 'help', but having studied African America women writers a few years ago I was exposed to A LOT of awesome stories, written by black women about black families. One story we read is called, 'Our Nig' by Harriet E. Wilson, if you're interested in reading something very real. I sobbed through most of it. Of course, it took place just during and after slaves were freed, so it's written from a different perspective in many ways. Anyway, great peek into some very heavy historic times and a real eye opener for some. I remember one woman in my class trying to get our professor to confirm that it was a work of fiction and that things weren't really that way, Lol, stupid woman.

Last edited:

TerryJ2

I remember one woman in my class trying to get our professor to confirm that it was a work of fiction and that things weren't really that way, Lol, stupid woman

Ugh. Idjit.

Chicken, yes. :) America's favorite food.

DDD

This likely sound strange coming from me but society slowly evolves. Prejudice exists and has always existed. My husband, for example, was President of the Student Body at a Conneticut university. He is/was a totally self made man who had no Mother (she died when he was six), a Dad who left him with relatives for years and he managed to get into college and put himself through and achieved leadership and recognition. After graduation he applied for a position at a major NYC Corporation. He was told "you wouldn't be comfortable here as we have no Irish people". That was in the mid 50's. He was stunned.

There was no known violence in the community where I grew up involving the help. They had a role in society but it was obviously lower rung. In 2011 we all live with "rungs". We are divided by wealth, by education, by background, by education by our religious choices and by the habits of our residential communities. That is even reflected in current politics. There are the "haves" and there are the "have nots". There are arrogant, uncaring and rude people today just as there were in the earlier decades.

I was an observant child. I am observant as a senior citizen. It is not racial relations so much as it is people living in their own world. Like many of you I have volunteered many times to help others and had hoped I would end up financially secure enough to be a full time activist but I don't think the "pro" actions of a few people can reach the millions who, like the help, deserve more out of life than the shuffle of the deck has given them. The divide still exists and my highest hope is that each of us can live a safe life and be treated with respect. DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...To piggyback on DDD... People make comments about how selfish people are becoming... But... The fact is, we always fear the unknown. Whether it be a person whose skin is a different shade (albino is a good example!); a different religion (paganism?); a handicap (visible or not)... What we don't know frightens us. No one - no one - is 100% colorblind, either. Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason.

The people who are here on this board regularly are probably a LOT more likely to see a raging child somewhere and feel for the parents... At least at first.

DDD

:twister2: I'll run like a tornado, keista! If each of the CD family members would just mail a personal check for a million dollars to fund my campaign. LOL

Aw shucks, I don't think that would be enough. Maybe I could "buy" the Governship but, alas, the Presidency or a place in the Senate takes ?? half a billion?? Sorry...guess it won't work! DDD

keista

Aw shucks, I don't think that would be enough. Maybe I could "buy" the Governship
:rofl:

Did you hear? it was a waste of money. He's got the lowest rating of any FL Governor EVER - as of last week.

DDD

Yea, I heard. It rather comforts me to know that at least one loser is being identified by most of the voters. Personally I'm still chapped off he sold "our" official plane. Guess the next Governor will have to drive or ride a train! DDD