Nothing like a colonoscopy prep to bring out the best in a difficult child...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well THIS has been the night from hell!

difficult child drank all his prep liquids fine today, but as soon as his medications wore off and the real hunger set in... let's just say he gave Mr. Hyde a run for his money tonight.

I sat up guarding the kitchen because I had a feeling he would try to sneak out and get something to eat, and he can only have clear liquids until midnight and after that nothing at all.

Sure enough, he came out demanding food. Didn't WANT the chicken broth. Didn't WANT the apple juice or the sprite or the gingerale. Didn't WANT to reason with me. Didn't WANT to think about having breakfast after the procedure. Didn't WANT to even do it -- demanded I cancel it (He's got Crohn's and he's been sick the past two and a half weeks with abdominal pain and we decided to scope him because labs show nothing's wrong, but clearly something is)...

And it just got uglier from there on out.

He had words that would make a sailor blush flying out of his sweet little 13yo mouth -- mostly descriptors of me.

He threw laundry. My purse. A cereal box. Pillows. Papers. Blankets... I suppose it could have been worse.

He tried ripping into a box of cereal, but I grabbed it away from him.

He tried opening a can of fruit, but I took it away.

He banged on the wall, the door.

He slammed his door.

He screamed, hollered, swore some more.

He tried to bite me.

Tried to hit, kick and slap me.

He ran outside and climbed on top of the monkey bars and sat there crying for a while.

He ran in the kitchen and grabbed a handful of chocolate chips, but only managed to get two in his mouth.

Then he calmed down and tried to apologize (this always happens after one of his meltdowns).

I guess I'm going to have to sneak in around 3am and put his Daytrana patch on him while he's sleeping, otherwise there's no way I'll even get him in the car to leave by 5am.

I feel bad for having to put him through this, but there's not much I can do about it. It's just a lousy situation all the way around.

BestICan

This community rocks.
I'm so sorry to hear about this. How miserable. Maybe he'll get a sedative during the procedure at least?

I guess next time (here's hoping there won't be a next time) maybe they can prescribe a little sedative prior to the procedure? I was once prescribed valium for the hours preceding dental surgery because I was pretty upset about the upcoming procedure.

Good luck, and I hope the scope goes well and the results are good.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sounds like difficult child should have had a PRN sedative prescribed for this - something to consider for the next time if there is a next time.

DazedandConfused

Ugh! Sounds like a very rough situation. I know when I had to prep for my surgery I was miserable. I can't even imagine what it is like for a difficult child.

Sounds like you kept your cool. Good for you.

Let us know how it goes.