Nothing we try

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon, I've been out of sorts the last few days & have missed quite a bit. I agree that your easy child/difficult child isn't your typical teen. She has a tendency to really shut down & shut everyone (not just you) out of her life.

Call school counselor. We have wm at the tender age of 15 going on 16, though he is a brilliant young man, in a transitional school. It's all about learning to live in the community, fill out applications, interviewing for jobs at the school, etc, along with academics.

You & husband are educators & easy child/difficult child's situation must feel like a knife going through your heart.

Pull her out of cheering if that is interfering with her academics; Fran's suggestions are good. I'd be checking for drugs as well. Do it here with kt.

Sending you hugs this morning.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Suz-Thanks. I did talk to the counselor today and he will talk to easy child/difficult child (I've decided to go by easy child/difficult child at least for now).

Sharon-You are right about this being such a great place-the support here is amazing.

K-Thank you for the support!

Witz-Yep, she's a junior. It's so interesting because she knows she is smart or says she does but she doesn't see how not smart she is being right now.

TM-Thank you for the hugs!

Heather-no days off til spring break. Maybe I can take her to lunch on a weekend.

Mary-Thanks for the heads up about the grad requirements. When I spoke with the counselor today I asked about what she still needed math and science wise-would not have thought to ask if you hadn't said this.

Busywend-I could be wrong but I don't think she is using. Her attitude about drugs and alcohol is that they are both stupid (her words). She has no money and rarely hangs out with friends so if she is using it has to be at school. Still-maybe I should have her tested-to be sure. I'll be o.k. with the non traditional route-it's just hard because I know she is doing things the hard way.

Linda-She got the boot from cheering because of her grades-good natural consequence. You are right too about being educators how hard this is. Hoping her school counselor should get through to her.

An interesting note-the director of her scholarship program told her they could pull her scholarship right now. easy child/difficult child has decided (or so she says) that she wants to stay in the program. This is amazing to me because she has complained so much about it over the years. The director told her if she works really hard and pulls great grades (easy child/difficult child has taken this to mean a 4.0) she will argue in front of the board to keep pcgfg in the program.

easy child/difficult child says she has decided she will get a 4.0 this quarter-we'll see. Her best friend told her that it wasn't realistic. easy child/difficult child told her friend, "You have no idea how smart I really am." She didn't say it in a mean way-just matter of fact. Guess she thinks she can do this.

Me-I just nodded and listened to her-I hope she does it but my hopes aren't up and she has to do it because it's what she wants not me or anyone else.

Thank you all so much for your support-you are the best!

busywend

Has she been dumbing herself down to her friends - and I do not mean that to be that her friends are dumb - but if they are not as smart as her, maybe she is playing to their level to fit in??

Wiped Out

Staff member
Wendy-We've (husband and I) wondered that in the past. We have had a discussion around that-could be part of it but I'm not so sure that's it.

DammitJanet

Sharon...I did that as a teen to fit in. I literally forced myself to fail tests while I was helping my friends write papers and cheat to pass theirs! Just how stupid was I? Sheesh!!!