Now add sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome to my list

Jody

Had my sleep study last night. After an hour the sleep study technician came in and said he had to put a cpap face mask on me, he did so and I slept pretty well, considering I was hooked up to all kinds of cords and stuff. He woke me up this morning and I had stopped breathing 20 times in an hour. I have restless leg syndrome which I knew, but I have had it for years and I just deal with it. Now I am not sure that I could get to sleep or stay asleep without doing it. Anyway since this is my best place to find out information. Does anyone else sleep with a breathing mask on. I am not tired today at all and feel like there is something inside my head besides air. lol. I am a little scared that I stopped breathing that many times. No one has called today, they must figure I have been living like this for awhile so it won't hurt to go a little longer. Any experiences or advice?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Not personally, but my Dad had a sleep study a few weeks ago and reportedly in 2.5 hours of sleep stopped breathing 235 times. I don't know how to believe that but that's what they said. I am hoping they get his cpap soon - he was supposed to get it yesterday and something happened. GRR. Anyway... Do you have appetite issues at all?

Jody

oh wow, I have been having issues with my appetite, but the dr told me I might with my new blood pressure medicine Losarten. I am hardly eer hungry at all. Sometimes from lack of sleep I was just too tired to even care about something to eat. I hope he gets his machine soon, that sounds like a long time to wait since being diagnosed.

InsaneCdn

Sleep apnea is not unusual - and lots of people use CPAP. Typically, it takes a bit of getting used to (I haven't done it but know people who have)... but it does NOT take much to get used to quality sleep!

busywend

My Uncle uses it and loves it because he gets real sleep. My friend's husband used it for awhile, but I think he is off it now after having weight loss surgery,

DammitJanet

Hi Jody, I noticed you have bipolar and fibromyalgia,so do I. I have never had a sleep study done but I have really bad insomnia. I do have a brother in law who has horrible sleep apnea and they told him once he needed a machine but he never got it. He snores horribly and the whole house shakes from it! My husband used to snore very badly but once he got some surgery on his mouth, that stopped.

Good luck to you with your apnea, that had to be scary.

DDD

I've known four relatives who have had the same experience. Each of them was overweight. Our of the four only one opted to use the mask/machine to solve the problem.......and it did solve the problem. The others were a bit overwhelmed by the apparatus and began stringent diets/exercise to overcome the problem as much as possible. I wish you well. DDD

Jody

I am sure it is because I am overweight. I hope I can get some of this weight off. I am glad that I will be getting some sleep though, and then maybe I won't feel so tired all the time. Im hoping energy is coming my way.

mom_to_3

My husband and I both use a cpap machine. We are both overweight. I can't remember how many times either of us quit breathing, but that machine has made a world of difference for both of us! Neither one of us can sleep without it. I was diagnosed with restless leg syndrom during my sleep study, but opted not to take the medicine for it. I will say that using the cpap machine has settled my legs down a lot.

The sleep center may not have called because they are waiting for the doctor to order a machine and of course investigating your insurance benefits.

KTMom91

I have a cpap (but don't use it consistently - I know I should) and restless legs. I take Mirapex for it and it's helped a lot. I always felt tired from kicking all night and waking myself up.

lovemysons

Hi Jody,
I was just posting a bit about my severe Anemia and remembered after seeing your post that I ALSO had restless leg syndrome which can be a symptom of Anemia...along with Insomnia, being extremely tired all of the time, Pale Skin, Craving Ice, etc.

Have you had your blood checked lately for Anemia?
I take 3 tablets as day of 65mgs Iron and many of my "symptoms" have disappeared.

Just thinking "outloud".
Hope you start getting some rest.
LMS

Jody

I have severe anemia, I take 975 mg of iron everyday prescribed by my hematologist. I eat a ton of spinach, and eat a lot of iron fortified foods, but for some reason, my body will not store it correctly, hence pills everyday. Thank you for the info though, I didn't know it was a sign of restless leg syndrome.

InsaneCdn

It's well known that vitamin C aids in the absorption of iron - whether as a supplement, or natural sources like orange juice.

Because of how much iron you're taking, I would go slow adding Vitamin C... maybe a small glass (2-3 oz) of orange juice along with one of your doses? See how it goes for a week or so, then add some juice with another dose? (you said you're taking it multiple times per day, right? if not... then increase the juice)

Or add the smallest vitamin C tablet you can find... same concept.