Now I Have a Lawyer........

buddy

How did you edit the thread title? I made a mistake once and it drove me nuts.... I liked that you had a new layer!

DammitJanet

Lisa, I was worried about Katie because in some states the fact that your husband didnt leave you as next of kin or on the accounts with him as in Lisa and/or husband, most times it has to go through probate. And didnt you buy the house from proceeds of your accident? Why wasnt the house in both your names? Dont have to answer me but I am surprised. I thought my dads property would have gone through probate and some would have been divided between the children and spouse. It wasnt but that was because he had everything set up as joint property. In your case it seems like everything was in his name only. I hope I am wrong but that could mean that you and the children are all legally able to inherit from him.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I didn't change my post title........... lol Someone else must've edited it for me.

Janet the house is in my name, I have to be executor to have husband's name removed evidently from the title. My mom had a cow over it because, yes, this house was bought with my accident settlement. But I put husband on the title in case something happened to me. Which is actually how we expected it to play out.

Lawyer didn't see any kids getting funds as an issue, so I'm guessing it works that wife inherits first over kids, which in most states is how it works when there is no beneficiary and both names aren't on an acct. Even the bank didn't see it as an issue. They just need something that says I'm estate executor. Of course even lawyer didn't know when I spoke to her how much is sitting in that acct, either. I was taught from a young age to keep my trap shut and never volunteer anything.

This is so the acct can be transferred over into my name. What the bank doesn't know is I will be withdrawing it the moment that is done. I don't like that bank. I don't do terminal hold and phone hang ups. I'll be putting it into the bank I trust with staff I know well and who don't treat their customers that way.

We now have a new problem. Seems husband didn't file for Travis on the last 3 yrs city taxes. Only one of those years he worked, and only a few months of that year. He just received a subpoena from the court. He has to have his W2 forms for those 3 yrs, which is going to be interesting as 2 of them he was unemployed. And we have no clue where they are.......we found much of husband's tax disaster, I dunno if Travis' are in there or not, and he has to have these by nov 15th.

OMG. The boy just spent a rather largish sum of his college loan refund paying off the debt from husband not paying his school taxes for lord knows how many years. I wonder if the lawyer will hep me with our taxes, now I'm scared they're far more messed up than we thought..........

Anyone know how to get a copy of a lost W2 form from say 2008??

H

HaoZi

You should be able to get a W2 from the employer. If that fails, contact the IRS. But omg...city taxes that require filing?! I was stunned enough by state income filing when I left Florida.

DammitJanet

Where did he work? Just contact that place and ask their HR office for a replacement. As for the court date, I dont understand why they would subpoena him for a tax matter if he hasnt been contacted before? Or actually even if he had. It would take decades and decades for them to get to a person for one tax year of a city tax. But...go to the court date and if he hasnt got the paperwork yet just ask for a continuance until he can get the stuff he needs.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I personally liked the idea of you having a layer...........but then again only YOU know what stress you've been suffering from.

HUGS

R

runawaybunny

I didn't change my post title........... lol Someone else must've edited it for me.
I edited it. I scan through many things without really getting the full picture, the title of the thread seemed like a typo. Sorry for intruding.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL Star. Let's just say I'm starting to think of a padded room as inviting, no drama, no noise, no outside world........

Cheryl, thanks for the edit. The typo was bugging me something awful. Bad enough when I do it in a post, but in the title it's sort of in your face for everyone to see. :)

I'll have him call krogers tomorrow and request a new copy, probably much much faster than digging through husband's mess hoping to find it. They'll just have to take his word that he hasn't worked for 2 yrs, which is why husband never filed the city tax for him, he didn't think it was necessary since he had no income. And I have a very vague memory now of him arguing with Travis that his income for 2008 was too low to file........hmm

S

Signorina

Hi Lisa!!

Be assured he was likely not required to file a tax return. The federal liability to file begins at around $9000 income per year. Most state and municipal tax laws law follow the federal guideline.

One of 2 things likely happened-he filed a city tax return in years prior and the repeated lack of returns since then triggered a flag.

Or he did file a state and/or federal return in one of those years (presumably because he was due a refund) and the city reconciled its records to the federal/state return records and the lack of a correlating return triggered a flag.

Either way, it will be dismissed. It's not up to you to prove he didn't work.

Glad an angel is on your side :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lisa,

If it comes down to it, the IRS will provide copies of this stuff for you. Call them - many times they can email it. :bigsmile:

P

PatriotsGirl

HUGE prayers you have that house insurance and your house gets paid off!!! (I didn't know such insurance even existed - wish I knew!)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Sending positive juju and saying a prayer that everything works out. So far, so good, right? Strange how things just seem to fall into place. Hugs~