Now that it's over - anyone care to make changes?

K

Kjs

It was a very good, peaceful Christmas this year. I DID plan for this XBOX360. I started buying $25 gift cards from Walmart each payday since mid summer.

I think I will start doing that NOW. It was very helpful.
They have the same electronic stuff as everywhere else. Plus, if I needed to, I could use the cards for grocery shopping.

And I did check that they never expire.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Every Woman - I am going to incorporate your list idea with...

Sue C's FOLDER idea - I will be covered for sure about memories!

Tired Mommy - Since I do the cards for the board - I destroy the list but - You can go on line and download a template from Excel that will help you keep addresses - Or Go to Hallmark and buy a book that lets you record the year.

Lil Dudes Mom - I am going to really check into all the wonderful information you sent. I just got an tip from someone I work with about this Christian man who does a series on financial counseling and eliminating debt - I want to get his book, drat forget the name but this guy says he can pay off all his bills and have no debt in 4 years. WOW! Thank you for your information.

Penta - HOT CHOCOLATE? YUM - Must have recipe. And the Paper mache bowls - I would LOVE for you to put a link up with a picture of them - they sound awesome.

Nomad - Please move closer! I would like to send out your OVERJOY husband with my UNDERJOY DF - Between the two of them the emotions may balance out. And then there is that threat of me beating him near to paste with a Yule log if there is one more BAH Humbug Christmas.

KJS - I had NEVER thought of doing the gift cards - and you say that they don't expire or take $$ off at Walmart? NEAT!!! Certainly is a neato idea! Thanks

Anyone else - just jump in -

Oh and anyone NOT wanting the DONKEY from their Manger or nativity scene should PM me - lol

Sue C

everywoman -- I like your idea about keeping a list during the year of what people say they like or need. I try to mentally do this but writing it down would be very helpful.

I thought of a great gift to watch for on sale during the year if anyone goes to bookstores. Some people might not like to read, but I have found that most people enjoy a large "coffee table" book with lots of pictures in them for them to look through and display on their coffee table for guests to look at. Example: son-in-law plays guitar and I found a coffee table book on sale for $15 that is the history of the electric guitar---color photos on each page; he loved it. Last year Melissa found him a coffee table book with photos of tattoos (he has tons); he loved that. One year I bought my mom a coffee table book with photos of elephants 'cuz she loves elephants; she loved the book. etc. etc. Think about what the person has an interest in or loves and watch for a sale on a huge coffee table book during the year. :smile:

Sue

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Wow, you all have some great tips for saving money and lessening stress. I really love the idea of a running list. I too try to mentally remember things that everyone tells me they would like or love, but I inevitably forget. I think I will start using the note section in my daytimer for this.

I've already scaled way back on decorations and only use my very favorites. I've even thrown some away. In the Summer we'll have a dumpster on the property and I plan on cleaning out our storage room which has all sorts of clutter. I have a tendency to save unwanted gifts with the intention of re-gifting throughout the year, but then I lose them and never see them until I unpack all the holiday stuff. So, I bought a clear plastic bin and I'm marking each item with the name of the person who gave it to me and then putting it in the bin so it's clean and smell and dust free when I want to use it.

Also, I will be selling a lot of the stuff in my storage room on craigslist as well and that money will go into the change pot under my dresser. That will become my Christmas fund. I like the idea of the ing.com account - I'm going to look into that.

Part of my plan for the new year is becoming the organized person I used to be, which means I will be making weekly menus based on what's on sale at the grocery stores here. That will help me save some dollars and time.

I am also going to ask H, easy child, & difficult child to tell me ONE cookie that they love that I make and then I'm only going to make those three cookies, just more of them instead of making 7 different kinds. It's too much work and since we don't entertain family anymore, there's no need. And I was thinking that instead of keeping all those cookies in tins where they will eventually go stale, I can donate them to the women's shelter that we support instead along with some food items as well BEFORE Christmas.

I love the idea of home made gifts - they certainly are the ones I prefer to receive. So, this summer I am expanding my garden so that I have a large enough harvest to do some major canning and give that as my gifts to family and close friends. It beats giving out sweaters that no one will ever wear.

And on the years when our girls are with their dad, I am going to volunteer my time elsewhere. On Christmas day H and I typically just sit around and graze, maybe go over to our neighbors house and then a movie. I'd much rather use the day to see some smiling children's faces.