Now they are saying it may be up to THREE weeks

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay Jo........

This is a WARNING and a sign.....for things to come this Winter.........

GET PREPARED NOW...and BUY a generator and KNOW HOW TO USE IT!!!!!

STart putting back bottled water...........propane for a grill...........soup, can goods..........and things of that nature.........

If this is what it's like NOW??????? With WORSE weather headed for winter? Yeah--------I think ya'll should stock up on flashlights, and whatever else you think you'd need for a month without-=just in case. This is a warning......and I think whatever you would need - blankets - fuel oil for lamps......etc.......get it.

ctmom05

I fear Star may be right - "a sign of things to come this winter" .. .. .. especially now that I am in charge of snow removal at the house. Based on happenings all over Connecticut, I am very leery about generators.

This is Thursday, and while I didn't lose power - it appears that my town is mostly back "on."

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
We have a generator - a nice big one - and it's doing it's job. The biggest problem is that we have to go to work, so the fridge is only getting cold for the few hours we're home. It's just not cold enough outside to store food, and don't forget, we have a resident bear. The snow is slowly melting, thank God, but the yard is a nightmare. I started sweeping the patio yesterday to keep busy. I want to get out there and rake up all the fallen leaves and burn the brush. Maybe over the weekend.

I was able to sweep the house and mop up some of the mess from all the foot traffic we've had. difficult child and her boyfriend went back to his moms, so that's two less people showering (but they still keep coming over for dinner????). My friend is letting me dry some clothes at her house since we can run the washer using an extension cord, but not the dryer. The lines outside of laundrymats is INSANE.

No worries - we have plenty of flashlights, fuel, a generator, coolers, charcoal and canned goods. Last night we had steak with baked potatoes from the grill and afresh salad. Tonight it's a stirfry with chicken (H's least favorite) and rice. I just have to pick up a pepper and some more lettuce. We're fine. Both H and I are very resourceful, innovative people - we figure things out and make do. If I was transported back in time, I think I'd be okay, once I got past not being able to shave my legs every day, ew. LOL. Not having internet or cell at my house is new for me and it's driving me insane.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Star is right. I know my state is included in the bitter cold / heavy snow (worst of the country) area this year. I'm not so happy about that. As I'll be the one doing all the shoveling ect.

Next week instead of couponing very much, I'm going to try to focus on getting stocked with some essentials for bad weather. Time is flying by me like the speed of light. I need to pick up a couple of oil lamps and some bottles of oil, batteries for the lantern and flash lights (I have some I want more), propane for the camp stove and coffee pot......although I usually have no need for the camp stove as my stove is gas and I can still cook on it. I also forgot to look for a grill on clearance this week. That is for next spring/summer, but clearance is far cheaper than normal price.

Thanks to krogers soup sale and cpns.......I now have more soup in my house than I've ever had in my life and that says a LOT. lol But I wasn't passing up .29 cents a can.

The time of year and the temp being just warm enough to mess up refrigeration has got to be a major PITA. I want a generator in the worst way. Problem is they also scare the crud out of me, especially the thought of me working the thing......

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
The time of year and the temp being just warm enough to mess up refrigeration has got to be a major PITA. I want a generator in the worst way. Problem is they also scare the crud out of me, especially the thought of me working the thing......

H explained it to me and it was a snap. They make them relatively easy to run now. The problem with ours is that it's just so darned huge, it's difficult for me to maneuver without throwing my back out. But it is on wheels. We have to pull it in and out of the garage when we use it because apparently there is a band of thieves going around stealing generators when people are out. Jerks!

My pantry is fairly well stocked with a lot of Bobs RedMIll grains, legumes and vegetable stock. I love throwing whatever I have into a pot and making a stew of sorts - sometimes meatless. I hate making pasta and sauce when we are powerless because the mess is so annoying. I was able to run my dishwasher yesterday using an extension cord...took FOREVER.

I think that MOST people just figure out a way to make things work when they need to. Parents/Guardians of difficult children? Well, we are a special breed and can take on just about anything life deals us!